• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offer to go perm, IR35 issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offer to go perm, IR35 issues

Hi

I have done some searching and research and can't find a clear answer on this.

I have been working under my ltd co for the last 9 months for an organisation outside IR35. This is the first contract I have done under my ltd co and the first time I have had any dealings with this organisation.

It's a good place to work and lots of opportunities, they have offered me a perm role and a chance to write my own pay practically. The contract role has been a project management one, the perm role a programme management one.

So I thought I wouldnt encounter any IR35 issues as it covers the perm to contract scenario but my accountant suspects I will have issues. He hasn't given any specifics yet so am left scratching my head a little.

I understand the knock on effects of a dormant/closing thenltd co and paying taxes due etc, but am completely lost on how IR35 comes into play.

An help or advice please?

It won't.

If your outside now you'll stay outside. If your inside now you'll still be inside. Never take IR35 advice from an accountant.

Your Co can't be held responsible for things your employees might do in the future, like leave and work somewhere else. Your co can for things that happened in the past (i.e. leave somewhere and return as a contractor).

Comment

Originally posted by theonewho View Post
      Hi

I have done some searching and research and can't find a clear answer on this.

I have been working under my ltd co for the last 9 months for an organisation outside IR35. This is the first contract I have done under my ltd co and the first time I have had any dealings with this organisation.

It's a good place to work and lots of opportunities, they have offered me a perm role and a chance to write my own pay practically. The contract role has been a project management one, the perm role a programme management one.

So I thought I wouldnt encounter any IR35 issues as it covers the perm to contract scenario but my accountant suspects I will have issues. He hasn't given any specifics yet so am left scratching my head a little.

I understand the knock on effects of a dormant/closing thenltd co and paying taxes due etc, but am completely lost on how IR35 comes into play.

An help or advice please?
      What did you base your IR35 status on in the first place?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Sounds like an odd thing for your accountant to say. I too am left scratching my head.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

I can see where he´s coming from. Some contracts have the intention of the contractor switching to permie, in this case your contractor role switches into a permie role without much change of the job. This would be a strong pointer. If the permie role is significantly different then obviously this shouldn´t be a problem. The fact that you will be dissolving your Ltd company means in any case you´ll be moving off the radar screen.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I can see where he´s coming from. Some contracts have the intention of the contractor switching to permie, in this case your contractor role switches into a permie role without much change of the job. This would be a strong pointer. If the permie role is significantly different then obviously this shouldn´t be a problem. The fact that you will be dissolving your Ltd company means in any case you´ll be moving off the radar screen.
            Is this true though? I thought it would reduce chances of being investigated, which will be very slim anyway due to the short timescale any but not take you right off the radar?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't think IR35 is an issue here.

Ask your accountant about doing a capital distribution if you are closing your company down and you are a higher rate tax payer.

Also be aware that by going permie you may be clobbered for a big tax bill in this financial year due to your previous contracting income so make sure you have some cash put aside to pay that.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Just to add, I had my contract independently reviewed to ensure I was outside IR35 and backed it up with usual work work practices.

There was no suggestion of temp to perm at the beginning of the engagement, the job is open competition but I have been encouraged to apply.

Comment

So a new development...

The IR35 lady at the accountancy thinks that HMRC perceive the contract period prior to substantive employment as inside IR35.

This is because the organisation is looking to retain me as a person and its not about the service. So they always had the intention of appointing to a permanent role and used it to test out the people.

I could argue that the contract was setup to run for the life of the project only, even though the project has now been delayed, but the organisation is willing to pay off the agency so it gets around any clauses.

I suppose options are:

Proceed and say nothing, if it comes, have the argument with hmrc and possibly have to pay out

Pay up now!

Comment

Defo do not pay up now. Take the permie job if you want it. Tell ( don't ask ! ) your accountant to wrap up the Co as though it is outside IR35. I would think it's highly unlikely you'll ever hear anything about it ever again. You rarely get 'clear' answers.

Comment

Working...
                    X