• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Least reliable cars 1997 - 2012

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least reliable cars 1997 - 2012

10. Citroën XM

Year: 1994-2000

Reliability Index rating: 438

9. Land Rover Range Rover

Year: 2002-

Reliability Index rating: 442

8. Porsche 911 (996)

Year: 2001-2006

Reliability Index rating: 442

7. Bentley Continental GT

Year: 2003-

Reliability Index rating: 490

6. Audi A6 Allroad

Year: 2000-2005

Reliability Index rating: 502

5. Mercedes-Benz CL

Year: 2000-2007

Reliability Index rating: 512

4. Mercedes-Benz V-class

Year: 1996-2004

Reliability Index rating: 547

3. Mercedes-Benz SL

Year: 2002

Reliability Index rating: 555

2. BMW M5

Year: 2004-2011

Reliability Index rating: 717

1. Audi RS6

Year: 2002-2011

Reliability Index rating: 1,282

So what we have learned, is very complex, very powerful cars that have likely to be driven very hard to high mileages are much less reliable than a biege Toyota Corolla that is driven by a 75 year old once a week to his local shop 2 miles away.

HTH BIDI

PS - This list is like my car wishlist.

Haha, I have owned 2 of the cars off that list and plan on buying a third one off the list next year. How nuts must I be

That list doesn't surprise me at all...

Comment

Curiously, there's no Jaguar on that list.

I must say mine has always been reliable, but they used to have a terrible reputation.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I must say mine has always been reliable, but they used to have a terrible reputation.
        I hope you're right; I bought one two weeks ago.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Apparently, German cars are tulipe. Which is okay with me because i only buy either vintage british or Japanese.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

In a reliability index what matters is the production levels. If Ferrari produce 100 cars a year they can make sure that they have 100% reliability. If Toyota mass produce millions a year they will have more difficulty in quality control.

Contrary to what Dim said about Toyota being driven once a week by a pensioner, Japanese cars normally pass through a stringent quality control regime to make sure each and every car has a level of reliability about them. Honda claim to have no engine failures in a million.

Difference between japanese production and others is that japanese do not tolerate faults in manufacturing and tend to discard defected parts whereas other profit minded companies tend to ignore defects realised in quality control and hence they have a higher number of faulty vehicles.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Currently saving for a Conti....
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I believe that Jag cleaned up their reliability issues in the late '90's. I know a couple of people with high mileage Jags and apart from expensive servicing (probably not much different from BMW or Merc though) they haven't moaned about bits falling off or going twang.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  In a reliability index what matters is the production levels. If Ferrari produce 100 cars a year they can make sure that they have 100% reliability. If Toyota mass produce millions a year they will have more difficulty in quality control.
                  I think the opposite is true. Mass production means everything produced identically, with identical high standards, otherwise it just wouldn't work.

And Ferrari owners probably have their cars serviced more often than they drive them, whereas old Toyotas get used and abused.

Honda claim to have no engine failures in a million.
                  I'd love to know who came up with that myth. There's some nonsense you often hear repeated about "no VTEC engine has ever failed", and what they actually meant was no failures for the VTEC system itself, and then they were only talking about under warranty. I've personally had one Honda VTEC engine failure out of two, and I know someone who's had four out of five. And you certainly don't want to buy an 09 S2000.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I think the opposite is true. Mass production means everything produced identically, with identical high standards, otherwise it just wouldn't work.
                    No, the opposite is not true in the case of manufacturing. No two items are identical when it comes to producing items like Engines etc. The manufacturing process is identical but the materials, environment conditions etc differ and they all result in faults. I know because I have been in a manufacturing industry as apprentice and seen first hand how no two items were the same.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X