• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional indemnity insurance for IT work in USA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional indemnity insurance for IT work in USA?

I'm a software developer specializing in web applications. Currently I'm working on a large project for a web design company in the USA - they're doing the graphical side of things but subcontracting all of the behind the scenes programming to me. Physically, I'm working here in the UK and everything is being done over the Internet.

As people seem to like to sue each other in the States as soon as they can after saying 'Hi!', I'm getting a little anxious about what could happen if things turn nasty between the web design company and the end client - if, for example, the client believes an error in the web application has cost them X amount of money in lost earnings or whatever, and they sue the web design company (although everything is hunky-dory at the moment and my work is always 100% perfect ). The likelihood is that the web design company would come after me to recover any money they had to pay out if they lost the case. So, unless I can prevent this occurrence in other ways (ideas, please!), I need to have professional indemnity insurance cover against this eventuality.

I got a quote from Hiscox for what I thought I needed, and it turns out pretty expensive when the USA comes into the equation - over £800 p/a for £250,000 cover, and unlike for their EU only cover, any defence costs have to come out of the £250,000, which could be pretty hairy. Cover of £1 million would cost me over £1600, making it marginal whether it's even worth doing the work.

Can anyone recommend anyone else, or any other way I can keep the cost down, or protect myself in other ways? Doing anything in the USA certainly seems to push up the premiums hugely, but maybe there's some insurance company out there who does not treat USA work so punitively?

I am a sole trader, incidentally - I have never set up a limited company to trade as (and I have been working in the field for over 20 years), although maybe it would be a good idea if I did?

You can try Qdos as well but I imagine it will still be pricy, as you say, it's the US unfortunately.

I know my own Qdos policy covers everywhere except North America, they do seem to love suing the ass off of each other over there.

Good luck with getting a reasonable quote though.

Comment

Thanks for that. Just in case anyone is wondering why I'm a sole trader, when contractors seem on the whole to have limited companies, I should point out that contracting like this is something I rarely do - I normally work in a consultancy role dealing directly with the end client.

Comment

Working...
      X