• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair on Criminal Justice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blair on Criminal Justice

From the beeb:

He is expected to say: "I have come to the conclusion that part of the problem in this whole area has been the absence of a proper, considered and intellectual debate about the nature of liberty in the modern world."

New Labour - sorting the wheat from the chaff...

Full report here
    Older and ...well, just older!!

What happned to the 'tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime' approach....

"Crime, immigration, security, because of the emotions inevitably raised, the headlines that scream, the multiplicity of the problems, we desperately, urgently need a rational debate from first principles," he will argue.

utter tosh
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Tony Blair's swathe of law and order measures seems to be more about winning elections than really tackling crime, a leading criminologist has said. In advice published by Downing Street, Oxford University's Ian Loader said some initiatives were "like putting a plaster on a broken leg".

Prof Loader complained about the government's "legislative hyperactivity", with more than 40 law and order acts since 1997.

"As an observer, I confess this has left me somewhat baffled - activity that seems to have more to do with the imperatives of electoral competition than a serious effort to address problems of crime and disorder," he said.

The "dizzying pace" of initiatives had made it more difficult for the Home Office to concentrate on managing the system, he argued.
      Sums up New Labour's whole modus operandi.

Comment

In the old days the holding of enquiries was a good stalling tactic for politicians.... today Labours equivalence seems to be to suggest debate is needed...i.e. the problems ours
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

By effectively removing debate from these issues in the first place and aligning their misguided legislation to their idealistic gods of Fairness, Bureaucracy and Manipulation, they have run out of figures and soundbites to cover up their incompetence: the people know it has failed.

But in true liebour style, give Campbell credit for his sheer audacity, after nine years they turn around and say: "we need to have a serious debate about this". From the party that stifles debate, refuses to be accountable and ignores the electorate.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Why are they constantly running around like headless chickens over totally obvious concerns which any government with the slightest capability would have been tackling in a quiet way since being elected?

What?? The public dont like hordes of convicted foreign rapists wandering about or child molesters getting £50 fines??? That never occurred to us, we must do something!!!!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I'm afraid it has to be:-

Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate

HTH

Comment

Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,Ex-ter-min-ate,

Comment

Oi, get back to work you two.

Comment

Oi, keep it down you

noisy fscking electric dustbins.
                    You can't hear yourself think round here, obviously not a problem for some of the regulars, but nonetheless.........
                    Why not?

Comment

Working...
                    X