• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P800 Tax Calc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P800 Tax Calc

Hi ,
    Looking for advice for hrmc letter recieved.

They have sent calculations notice for the following:

09/10 Benefits in kind £2369
    10/11 Benefits in kind £1320.

Requesting tax on total of underpaid.

Called them and all would say was they are working on info from umbrella co and that i should refer to my P11d sent by empolyer.
    Never had a P11d and only claimed mileage traveled and subsistence spent , all contracts fell under 24 month rule.

I thought BIK was gym membership, bupa, car etc?
    After few ops early '11 left umbrella end of '11 when offered perm role for some stability so not with umbrella so now have no idea how to get this sorted?

Hard to tell without seeing the forms but its very likely that no expense claim has been made.

It sounds strange, but expenses like mileage, travel, etc, even under 24 month rule, count as a benefit unless you make a claim for them not to be.

See if this helps:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf

Comment

Find it hard to believe that they are just acting on 09/10 & 10/11 info now!!

Never seen that hmrc form before, it was ment to be so easy - submit hours worked, mileage traveled and cost of meals spent up to daily rate and for a fee it was all processed.

100 miles a day mileage would be a much bigger headache so it looking like subsistence has been processed incorrectly.
      What is best way to handle this, try to get info from umbrella or write to hmrc explain and suggest they contact umbrella as they should sort paye ?

Comment

Par for course time wise Im afraid. HMRC are way behind.

It's not really a PAYE issue, so asking HMRC to go back to umbrella won't work. However umbrella should have been advising you on this and/or doing it, dependant on your contract with them.

Go back and see what they say?

Comment

Refer this back to your umbrella company - they will have P11d on file or will be able to provide evidence of dispensation for HMR&C - as these expenses should have been processed by them. Is there evidence of expense claims on your payslips?

Did you fill in a self-assessment form and include expenses??
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thanks for the reply's
            I never did self assessment form or seen p11d.
            Called umbrella and were very helpful. Said was their issue as they handle payrole for a fee and this was their responsibility to ensure the correct info was submitted.
            They supplied me letters for each year with calculation for BIK to be re-addressed as expence claim under Section 336 ITEPA 2003.

Signed them and sent then to HMRC Cardiff so will see what happens.
            On side note -
            Made redundant june 08 and today HMRC Scotland want a P60u for the 3 weeks i claimed JSA. Guess my name was pulled out for a look at!!

Comment

Originally posted by ianb99 View Post
              Thanks for the reply's
              I never did self assessment form or seen p11d.
              Called umbrella and were very helpful. Said was their issue as they handle payrole for a fee and this was their responsibility to ensure the correct info was submitted.
              They supplied me letters for each year with calculation for BIK to be re-addressed as expence claim under Section 336 ITEPA 2003.

Signed them and sent then to HMRC Cardiff so will see what happens.
              On side note -
              Made redundant june 08 and today HMRC Scotland want a P60u for the 3 weeks i claimed JSA. Guess my name was pulled out for a look at!!
              Don't take it personally ian99 - some people are just lucky

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

I received a P800 yesterday (dated 10 January WTF!) because HMRC are just plain incompetent, I would just like to thank Contractor Umbrella for acting swiftly to resolve the matter for me.

Basically HMRC were trying to tax my expenses and said that I had underpaid 800GBP, I look forward to my apology letter from them
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  I received a P800 yesterday (dated 10 January WTF!) because HMRC are just plain incompetent, I would just like to thank Contractor Umbrella for acting swiftly to resolve the matter for me.

Basically HMRC were trying to tax my expenses and said that I had underpaid 800GBP, I look forward to my apology letter from them
                  Anytime Spartan

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Anytime Spartan
                    Hahaha no problem I had to speak to two different HMRC advisers before I was able to find out what the actual problem was, so much for service DOH!
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X