• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this man talking nonsense regarding the internet being a global sized brain ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this man talking nonsense regarding the internet being a global sized brain ?

Is this man talking nonsense regarding the internet being a global sized brain or do you think there's a modicum of truth in what he says ?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...come-conscious

"We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service…"

Looks like the "global brain" has had a lobotomy

Comment

so its not funded by the licence fee so its content is not available.

Yet they profit from selling programmes made in the UK with licence fee payers money?

I wonder to which tax haven the royalties go?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        "We're sorry but this site is not accessible from the UK as it is part of our international service…"

That URL is the first time I have seen bbc.com in action.

A bit of history here. According to the reports I read in the late nineties or early 2000s, Auntie tried prising bbc.com away from Boston Business Computing, who got it many years previously.

Auntie lost that battle but later bought bbc.com for an undisclosed sum.

And then for at least a decade totally ignored it.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          so its not funded by the licence fee so its content is not available.

Yet they profit from selling programmes made in the UK with licence fee payers money?
          They have been doing that for donkey's years.

And presumably hiding it off the books somewhere.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I wonder to which tax haven the royalties go?
          The notable thing about BBC Prime, which we used to get in Switzerland*, was that it broadcast BBC produced content which didn't involve royalty payments to the actors.

Though I am not sure about East Enders. The bastards used to show that about 3 times a weekday and follow it up with the Omnibus edition 2 or 3 times on both Saturday and Sunday.

* I have no idea what I was paying for it because it was included somewhere in the mixture of cable fees and TV licence here, but they did want $75 a year to get it over satellite.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
          X