• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blck cab under the threat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blck cab under the threat

In Slough, Reading and sadly Windsor practically all taxi cars, many of them black cab brand, look and feel like second hand ancient clunkers. I suspect not safe for passengers.

Why licensing body is not dealing with this new trend? Should they not impose some standards which would preclude usage of second hand cars which responsible drivers decommissioned years ago?

Its just so sad and unfair.
    Last edited by mos; 23 November 2012, 08:48.
    If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Thought you meant this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20031436
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm a registered Winchester cabbie. Long story.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

very few of them about in the areas you mention, mostly private hire ones that are stupidly overpriced and the drivers don't follow the rules of the road (its questionable if they have a driving license in the first place anyway)
        Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          I'm a registered Winchester cabbie. Long story.
          Time is one thing that is in plentiful supply on CUK pray tell us
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My experience of that area is that you're right, and I also concur with the belief that there's something fishy going on in Slough.

Most drivers dont seem to be good enough to have a licence.

I also lived on a street with lots of foreign nationals who lived 10+ a house, and they seemed to have at least 4 taxis outside. Do you get some kind of tax break or something , if your car is registered as a taxi cab?

Comment

eJobs - TAXI DRIVERS ADS CHAUFFEURS IN UK , EU TAXI DRIVERS LTD

ALL TRAINING DONE BY INTERNET.

they are advertising for taxi drivers in romania!
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My sister works in Slough. Random drive by shooting at entrance to her office recently. Only an air pistol - but even so.....

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
                  In Slough, Reading and sadly Windsor practically all taxi cars, many of them black cab brand, look and feel like second hand ancient clunkers. I suspect not safe for passengers.

Why licensing body is not dealing with this new trend? Should they not impose some standards which would preclude usage of second hand cars which responsible drivers decommissioned years ago?

Its just so sad and unfair.
                  Tax drivers outside of London are hard pushed to make a profit. I am happy to ride in any age of car.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Time is one thing that is in plentiful supply on CUK pray tell us
                    Up until a couple of years ago, we (me and the missus) used to own a wedding car company that ran classic American cars. We did this in our spare time - she did the business side, me (being that way inclined) took care of the cars. Anyway, we started off doing prom work as well as weddings but then we had to jump through all these hoops for licensing as it's hire and reward - unlike wedding car work which anyone can do.

So we gave it a go with one of our classic cars, we upped the insurance, got CRB checked, I took my Winchester taxi test (I actually took the test in Basingstoke) and then we got one of our classic cars registered in Winchester as a licensed taxi. We even made the local paper when we did that.

All this came at a cost though. We found that we were paying maybe £2000 per year in compliance for £1500 of prom work and as much as we wanted to carry on doing proms (and other hire and reward work) it just wasn't paying it's way. We went back to just doing weddings.

We sold the business for lots of reasons - it was full of great highs and some serious lows. I'm saving the best stories for my forthcoming book....
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X