• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched/Going Permie poverty food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched/Going Permie poverty food

Trying to live parsimoniously, just made and ate Hugh Fearnley Shoot'em'alls' pasticcio recipe with some leftover sausage and burgers that were buried somewhere in the freezer. Wow. I really recommend this, OK so I made it myself so I shouldn't really boast, all I changed was replace some of the basil leaves with rocket and add a bit of pesto to the tomato sauce. Please, if you like good food, make this. Orgasmically delicious.

Pasticcio

A huge dish of meatballs, tomato sauce and bubbling cheese is about as welcoming and cheering a dish as I can think of. Making meatballs is a great family activity, but a sausage version is a brilliant timesaver – simply fry up some of your favourite sausages, cut into chunks and stir into the passata. Serves eight to 10.

1 litre passata
    60ml red wine
    500g dried penne
    200g parmesan, grated
    3 balls mozzarella, sliced
    1 handful basil leaves, roughly torn
    A little olive oil
    40g butter

For the meatballs
    600g minced beef
    600g minced pork
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced

50g parmesan, freshly grated
    A pinch of cayenne pepper
    A dash of lemon juice
    A few sprigs of oregano, parsley and/or basil, chopped
    Olive oil, for frying
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the béchamel sauce
    1 litre whole milk
    1 bay leaf
    100g butter
    100g plain flour

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs, and roll into small balls. In a large frying pan, heat a little oil and fry the meatballs in batches until nicely browned all over. As they are ready, transfer to a bowl containing the passata. When all the meatballs are browned, deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any bits, and tip into the bowl.

To make the béchamel, warm the milk with the bay leaf until barely simmering, then set aside and keep warm. In a separate pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook gently, stirring, for a couple of minutes, then slowly whisk in the warm milk. Simmer gently for five minutes, stirring, until thickened, and season to taste.

Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling, salted water, and drain when still nicely al dente. Mix thoroughly with the béchamel.

Grease a large casserole dish with olive oil. Spread a third of the pasta mixture over the bottom, sprinkle over a quarter of the parmesan, then ladle over a layer of meatballs and tomato sauce. Make a layer of mozzarella slices (one whole cheese's worth), top with some basil, season with black pepper and trickle on some olive oil. Repeat the layers twice more. Dot the final layer of mozzarella with a little butter and sprinkle on the last quarter of the parmesan. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and cook for another 15–20 minutes, until the top is crusty and golden brown.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 23 November 2012, 17:57.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Instead of left over sausages / burgers, shouldn't you be using any leftover venison from the Sunday roast?

Why yes, I have been browsing the old Mumsnet holiday thread from way before I joined!

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      Instead of left over sausages / burgers, shouldn't you be using any leftover venison from the Sunday roast?

Why yes, I have been browsing the old Mumsnet holiday thread from way before I joined!
      Used that on Monday and Tuesday, and made some pheasant rilettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

Ah Shaunbhoys greatest troll of all time.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

60ml red wine
          Leaving plenty for the chef to imbibe.

Don't worry about going permanent Dude. I'm about to do the same

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
            Leaving plenty for the chef to imbibe.

Don't worry about going permanent Dude. I'm about to do the same
            We shall survive to conquer again! Best of luck!

Comment

Spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, chilli.

Lived off that for years as a student. Cheaper than chips.

Probably where the ultra running thing came from, too many good carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, chilli.

Lived off that for years as a student. Cheaper than chips.

Probably where the ultra running thing came from, too many good carbs.
                Blimey, you were rich.

Baked beans. Rice.
                You can live on it for years....

Comment

Cheesy beanos.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Cheesy beanos.
                    I need the proteins from meat. Did an hour of interval sprints on the bike today and then 1/2 hour of weights.

Student days were easy; I played rugby at 'shamateur' level and food was provided by the rugby club, or more often in an Italian restaurant owned by a committee member. Somehow I've never been especially slim despite always being fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X