• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any of you lot...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you lot...

Do any small scale agriculture - greenhouse, allotment, garden or slightly bigger?

Friend of mine in Canada is looking at a hobby farm or large backyard operation but has little experience.

I'll likely end up there at times helping out so any experiences, advice, ideas, caveats, abuse welcome.
    Me, me, me...

Are you talking about buying some land and renting out to people to do allotments or something else?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I bought a growbag this year. I successfully harvested one cherry tomato.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Are you talking about buying some land and renting out to people to do allotments or something else?
        As I mentioned a friend in Canada (ex ClientCo boss who sold the biz), is thinking about upscaling from a greenhouse and a few chickens to having something more substantial to grow food for his family and sell the surplus. He was seriously considering a million dollar property with 144 acres but decided against that and wants to start small, perhaps an acre or two. Not much experience of that and neither have I so any pointers would be good as I'll likely be spending extended periods of time over there helping out.

My family are farming stock but not on that scale so not much help.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          not bad for this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Did that last year and got a great crop of tomatoes, beginner's luck I think. Not a great apple harvest this year but got enough decent examples that there was still a surplus.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

I have some friends who have about 16 acres they tend to wheat only and come from farmers, plus I did a business model for an allotment idea but that's it.

144 acres is quite a lot to be fair. Best that Old Hack answers though as that's the size of his back garden and he the other 200 acres on the otherside of his forest.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I have some friends who have about 16 acres they tend to wheat only and come from farmers, plus I did a business model for an allotment idea but that's it.

144 acres is quite a lot to be fair. Best that Old Hack answers though as that's the size of his back garden and he the other 200 acres on the otherside of his forest.
                The 144 acre farm has been abandoned and now looking at a couple of acres max hence asking around here.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

PM me if you are interested; we've been doing it on a small basis for a few years (we live on a 6 acre plot), but are looking to upscale to a hobby farm (small holding) next year.

We have 2, nigh on 3 acres out to willow (grows quick, nice burn).

We've got chickens, have 10 turkeys growing for Xmas, and grow an awful lot of out own stuff; picked my last tomato last Monday as it happen, and we were picking squashes outside as late as last week.

Poly tunnel a must: you can pretty much grow anything in one.

We've bought, or arranged to buy, a couple of pigs for spring. I guess MF will be stuck shagging his...
                  Last edited by Old Hack; 23 November 2012, 20:30. Reason: spooling

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    The 144 acre farm has been abandoned and now looking at a couple of acres max hence asking around here.
                    A mate of mine cashed his pension in a few years ago and bought a farm in France. Too big for him and his partner to handle by themselves, so they advertised for helpers on the internet, and they had plenty of takers.

It was sold as a working holiday. I.e. the visitors paid for a cheap holiday but were expected to do farm work for their meals and accommodation. They had folks from all over the world and by the sounds of it the evenings were quite entertaining (fuelled no doubt by cheap French wine).

It was a bit too much of a hippy / New Age / Green Thing set up for my liking, but I am sure they don't have to be like that.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X