• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weather forecasters and the word "gusting"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather forecasters and the word "gusting"

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:34.

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    I've recently noticed that weather forecasters never fail to use the phrase "gusting" then talking about windy conditions.

When I was a lad, we used to talk about "a strong wind blowing".

Nowadays whenever I watch the tv news weather forecast, regardless of which channel, I never hear them say "blowing". It's almost as if they were legally bound to say "gusting". Doesn't matter whether it's 20mph winds or 80mph winds, it still "gusting".

What is it with this phrase? Have they band all other adjectives relating to wind? Am I the only person who has noticed this phenomena?
    In our house, wind is usually passing.

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:34.

Comment

Year ago they all described the wind as "a chill wind" rather than "chilly". Just doesn't sound right.

Last year or so they have reverted to chilly, so I don't have to dig my fingernails into the arm of the leather sofa while they read the weather out.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The gusting refers to the peak wind speeds. So it might be a 40mph wind gusting to 60mph.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It annoys me when they talk about temperatures "into the 80s" or whatever. If the temperature really reached 80 degrees C it'd pretty much be the end of human life as we know it, so they must be talking about some other measure of temperature that nobody uses anymore, perhaps one from the middle ages or from a backwards country like the US.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I wouldnt mind Ms Kirkwood 'blowing' me.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X