• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in SA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in SA

I fancy setting up in Cape Town for a couple of years.... been there a few times and have a couple of concerns out there but would like to do some SQL/ VB.net/ ASP.net contracting in that region...
    Any idea on whether i can set up as a limited or what sort of rates can be expected?
    Anyone got any info or URLs i can look at.. my preliminary googling has been a little short on info plus .co.za sites seem pretty poor...

thanks in advance
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Sa

I got this email today. Might be a bloke worth talking to. Rather you than me though, you do know that cape town is full of south africans don't you? A bit like putney on steroids.

--------------
    Dear Candidate,

I am contacting you as I believe you may be interested in an exciting opportunity which has arisen with one of my clients.

My client is a prestigious retail client based in the beautiful city of Cape Town and is actively looking for two ASP.Net developers with Retail experience to join their friendly team in South Africa.

You should have at least 2-3 Years experience designing web pages with ASP.NET and strong experience with SQL Server as the database.

These roles are very much a "lifestyle" choice and therefore ask you to bear in mind the current exchange rates and cost of living in South Africa before applying for this role. This role may also suit any South Africans currently overseas who are returning to SA.

Please contact Lee Stevens for further information on 0208 466 3642.

Duration: 6 Months
    Start Date: ASAP
    Salary: Negotiable

NB: This email has been sent on the basis that you have registered for similar jobs with us previously. (Contract and Permanent). It is my aim to make you aware of every opportunity, regardless of your current position. Please accept my apologies, if this email has inconvenienced you in any way.

Comment

oh yeah

Oh yeah, and if you get the gig, I want some biltong sending over. I have a few drafty window frames that need plugging up.

Comment

These roles are very much a "lifestyle" choice
        English translation : the wonger's tulipe
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Cape Town contraction

I am ex-Capetonian and I am maybe a little behind the times but I did a bit of research about a year ago and this is what I got.

a) Although not relevant to me work permits are a right b!tch. They only cosidered for positions of exteme technical scarcity and as far as I know, the potential to train local personel in that area is taken into account and not just current skills availablity.

Considering unemployment is quite high it may not be possible. Also (Once again not sure if it has changed) , any extension will have to be applied for in the SA embassy in your host country which is a pain.

Although there are skills shortages, the govt is slow to provide incentive to address this and there are no current initiatives that I know of that can be used to your advantage.

b) Permanent employment is pretty difficult for all but the most connected white saffers (Hence Putney/Wimbledon/San Diego/Sydney/Perth/Vancouver etc) being choc full off well educated white South Africans. The policy of affirmitive action has been implemented to redress the skills balance after apartheid and therefore major corparates need to adhere to increasing racial equality targets, making it difficult to recruit pale males.(As far as I am away multinationals get around this by a sort of intracompany transfer). The net result being, in this scenario that it is possibly easier to employ a UK national than a Saffer owing to AA policies.

c) Salary ranges from about 10k zar / month for junior/middleweight to about 30k for senior/team leader possibly more for consultant. Salaries will be higher in JHB but IMHO I would rather live in London than JHB.

10 k will be tight considering you will need mediacal insurance and need to buy a motor car and run it etc and IMO would be too little to experience the wonders of SA life unless you are taking money with you and dont mind supplementing your income with £real money£

My advice to you would be to go out there and visit some recruitment agents and companies to asses demand and try to sort somethign out there.I think the freelance business is quite big in CT so if you mingle and find out what going on you may be able to circumvent immigration laws, if nothing comes of it, you will have a good holiday.
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

thanks all

some good advice... i think a recon is inorder...
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Working...
            X