• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sloppy BBC reporting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloppy BBC reporting

Some unfortunate chap impaled himself on a table leg in his attic today. The Guardian quotes the ambulance service spokesman in full:

This was a very delicate incident to deal with...
    The BBC reported it as :

A man has been rescued in a "delicate incident" after he became impaled on a table leg in his loft in Hertfordshire.
    That poor bloke! Surely the BBC must know that if a chap is impaled in a "delicate incident" everyone will assume he slipped up while attempting to insert the table leg into his arse.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/no...-man-table-leg
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-20484762
    Last edited by xoggoth; 25 November 2012, 22:34.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Some unfortunate chap impaled himself on a table leg in his attic today. The Guardian quotes the ambulance service spokesman in full:

The BBC reported it as :

That poor bloke! Surely the BBC must know that if a chap is impaled in a "delicate incident" everyone will assume he slipped up while attempting to insert the table leg into his arse.

Firefighters remove roof to reach man impaled on table leg in St Albans | UK news | guardian.co.uk
    BBC News - St Albans man impaled on table leg in loft
    The Guardian also reported it as a delicate incident, why single out the BBC?

Anyway, there's no mention of him not getting a table leg stuck up his arse so I'm going with that.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      everyone will assume he slipped up while attempting to insert the table leg into his arse.
      I assume he just slipped and speared himself. Why do you assume its gone up his bum? Past form?

Though last Christmas my sister bought me a book of 100 photos of objects people inserted inside themselves. My favourite was a handgun.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I assume he just slipped and speared himself. Why do you assume its gone up his bum? Past form?

Though last Christmas my sister bought me a book of 100 photos of objects people inserted inside themselves. My favourite was a handgun.
        Did you check the safety catch was on before sticking it up there?
        Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

A mate of mine is a nurse. She has removed plenty of stuff from arses over the years. There was a bloke who came in with a deoderant up there. He claimed he slipped getting out of the bath and it was sat on the closed bog seat and literally went straight up. What are the odds on that?
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

The Guardian also reported it as a delicate incident, why single out the BBC?
            Delicate incident is ok but "delicate incident" isn't.

Anyway, my sister was a nurse and had to remove a can of Harpic from a bloke's bum. They had little narrow tin cans with concave bases in those days. Push it too far and there is no way you could get it out. Just as well it didn't leak, very acidic stuff.

Wonder if any soldiers have done it with hand grenades? And sure I'm not he only one to always confuse IUDs and IEDs.

PS Ah! The Mail does it properly. Impaled through the chest!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-leg-loft.html
            Last edited by xoggoth; 26 November 2012, 16:43.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Oddly I was coming out of the shower in a changing room once and sat down as I was talking and managed to sit directly on a bottle of shower gell (I think, something like that anyway).

It was amazing how fast I managed to bounce back up once I 'reached it'.
              Last edited by MyUserName; 26 November 2012, 16:44. Reason: spelin
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Oddly I was coming out of the shower in a changing room once and sat down as I was talking and managed to sit directly on a bottle of shower gell (I think, something like that anyway).

It was amazing how fast I managed to bounce back up once I 'reached it'.
                What do you mean, 'reached it'?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  What do you mean, 'reached it'?
                  Well without being too graphic - once I felt the pressure of the top pressing against my ring piece. I managed to react before any actual penetration took place and half twisted half jumped up.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                  X