• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B - Driving instruction.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B - Driving instruction.

Has anyone considered this?

Current situation after having the comfy five year rug from taken away is that I am starting a new permie job in a couple of weeks.

Luckily this new role is local, so I get a lot of evenings to myself again.

For the sake of a grand, I am seriously considering investing my evenings and weekends over the next few months into driving tuition experience. The package also includes a local ADI trainer to spend a few evenings with me putting the theory into practice.

Figure I may as well do some part time Saturday weekend work as a kind of hobby, to keep the interest alive and help keep the wolf at bay.

The only assessment is every 4 years after the initial 18 months check.

Has anyone seriously considered, or know someone who has done this as their Plan B for dark days when the market is flooded with yes men and non-existing jobs from pimps, pretty much along how things are just now you could argue?......

At best a full time driving instructor will only earn £30-36k and thats flogging their guts out doing weekends and evenings as well as the usual Mon-Fri 9-5, you'd be better off going back to being a permie
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      At best a full time driving instructor will only earn £30-36k and thats flogging their guts out doing weekends and evenings as well as the usual Mon-Fri 9-5, you'd be better off going back to being a permie
      +1. Its max £20 an hour before the cost of the car, fuel and that's before Franchise costs.

Why on earth would you want to go self employed for so little.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        +1. Its max £20 an hour before the cost of the car, fuel and that's before Franchise costs.

For a skillset that you can pick up when the dark days are upon us......

Also to top up the crummy permie pay that I am about to embark upon......

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The big bonus is that you get to be mean to your students ... priceless outlet after work in IB or any other B.

Last edited by mos; 26 November 2012, 10:57.
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post

If the dark days where on me the last thing I'd be considering is driving lessons...

Comment

Surely re-training as a Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, etc. would be time and money better spent?

If nothing else, it would trim your own DIY costs in the future.

BTW, I'm actually being serious (for once! ) My nephew is currently wasting away on a 4 year Basic I.T. & Management course. I'd be learning a trade in his position; he's 17. Not sure if anyone else has an opinion on this? Is it still worth learning to be a tradesman these days? Less chance of being offshored, is my thinking.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Not sure if anyone else has an opinion on this? Is it still worth learning to be a tradesman these days? Less chance of being offshored, is my thinking.
                Getting a skill you can fall back on is always a good idea.

One of my parents' friends was a driving instructor and he dropped a comment one day about sedatives being a necessary part of the job.

The job is inherently bad on the nerves...
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  Surely re-training as a Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter, etc. would be time and money better spent?

If nothing else, it would trim your own DIY costs in the future.

BTW, I'm actually being serious (for once! ) My nephew is currently wasting away on a 4 year Basic I.T. & Management course. I'd be learning a trade in his position; he's 17. Not sure if anyone else has an opinion on this? Is it still worth learning to be a tradesman these days? Less chance of being offshored, is my thinking.
                  It sure is, Son number 1 is an apprentice Electrician and will be qualified next year he is 19 and Son number 2 is on a 3 year motorsport mechanic course, so he will be qualified by the time he is 20, i have told them both, get a trade you can do what you like then , if you then want to go and do something else you can and you will always have somthing to go back to or just do in your spare time
                  Last edited by Support Monkey; 26 November 2012, 11:18.

Comment

Has anyone considered this?

Current situation after having the comfy five year rug from taken away is that I am starting a new permie job in a couple of weeks.

Luckily this new role is local, so I get a lot of evenings to myself again.

For the sake of a grand, I am seriously considering investing my evenings and weekends over the next few months into driving tuition experience. The package also includes a local ADI trainer to spend a few evenings with me putting the theory into practice.

Figure I may as well do some part time Saturday weekend work as a kind of hobby, to keep the interest alive and help keep the wolf at bay.

The only assessment is every 4 years after the initial 18 months check.

Has anyone seriously considered, or know someone who has done this as their Plan B for dark days when the market is flooded with yes men and non-existing jobs from pimps, pretty much along how things are just now you could argue?......
                    I knew someone who was unemployed and paid the RAC rather a lot of money for training. He never got a job aftwards. It was a complete waste of time and money.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X