• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for Ltd Company whilst on notice period from permie job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for Ltd Company whilst on notice period from permie job

Hi,

I have a newbie question and would be grateful if anyone can point me in th eright direction (please be gentle..!)

I'm currently working my 4 week notice period in a permie role and have a contract lined up. My current (permie)employer has agreed to me taking my accrued annual leave as part of the 4 weeks notice period, meaning that my last day on site is around a week before my last permie contracted day.

Does anyone know if I am I allowed to start contracting (through a ltd company) before my last contractual day in my permie role (i.e. start contracting at the same time as taking annual leave from my current permie employer), or must I wait until after my last contractual day with my permie employer? ....Or does anyone know where I'm best confirming this?

Any help gratfully received.

R

I think all you need to do is check your contract with your ex-employer. Some companies do have clauses about not working for anyone else while still employed, although what on earth they are going to do about it at this late stage? I would say nothing. They are not going to enter in to a legal process just because you worked a couple of days while on holiday+notice.

If you want to be absolutely sure then just ask your HR. They are there to help you, not catch you out so shouldn't be a problem asking them.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't think anyone will care, why would they?
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I think all you need to do is check your contract with your ex-employer. Some companies do have clauses about not working for anyone else while still employed, although what on earth they are going to do about it at this late stage? I would say nothing. They are not going to enter in to a legal process just because you worked a couple of days while on holiday+notice.

If you want to be absolutely sure then just ask your HR. They are there to help you, not catch you out so shouldn't be a problem asking them.
        Technically, WHS.....

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        I don't think anyone will care, why would they?
        ...but in reality, WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Technically, WHS.....

...but in reality, WHS.
          WHS (both of em)
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No company law or tax issues, just check nothing in your former employers contract. That said you've left, why would they care.

Comment

Probably your perm contract says you are not allowed to. I was put on gardening leave for 4 weeks, and as soon I was on gardening leave I started working for my Client on my first contract. I didn't tell them. I did not invoice my Client until my gardening leave ended though.

Comment

Working...
              X