• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I need a business Account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a business Account?

I was self employed but now I'm 65 and don't do much work at all really, however I still have my bank account as occasionally I'm asked to do a little work, this is reported to Inland Revenue I fill in a return each year. The money I receive is so very small it maybe 10/15 pounds a week on occasion but that's not every week. I only do this as the people are friends and I don't like to refuse.
    My question is do I need to keep this Business Banking account as no money goes in and no money comes out, but I still pay charges.
    Thanks for any advise offered.

If you're only a sole trader then you don't need a business bank account, you can use your own but just make sure you keep adequate records to keep the trading cash separate from your personal cash.

Comment

Concur.

If you are limited its good practice, if not essential, to have one, but I'm presuming you are a sole trader? In which case desirable, but by no means essential. If you are worried about costs just open a second personal account somewhere, mentally designate as business, and use it as such - just don't tell the bank it's with.

Comment

You don't need a business account unless the bank catches you using your current account for business.

If you are only putting £15/10 of cash in every week or so I doubt they will if you don't say anything.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies guys, I'm going to cancel it tomorrow.

Once again thanks

Comment

Working...
          X