• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter tyres vs 4WD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter tyres vs 4WD

Which is more effective? Pater, being famously tight, asked that very question this weekend.
    So forget mud (since the rutted track is going to get paved), on snow and ice which is better?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I fit winter tyres to my car (note to self - put the damned winter tyres on this weekend). They are good, but I don't think that they compare to a decent 4x4.

However, they are much cheaper and may well serve your father's requirements.

I use Nokian tyres at the moment.

Comment

4wd every time. I've got an L200 crew cab (admittedly on big tyres) and in the winter I'm always helping tow the neighbour's cars out of trouble. Summer or winter tyres; when the weather gets really bad unless you have the traction you are going to get into trouble.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

The handbook for my Quattro was quite adamant on this point.

Four wheel drive is no substitute for winter tyres

Winter tyres are much better at braking at low temperatures.

4WD doesn't really help you slow down.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          The handbook for my Quattro was quite adamant on this point.

Four wheel drive is no substitute for winter tyres

Winter tyres are much better at braking at low temperatures.

4WD doesn't really help you slow down.
          Aye that would be my impression - and most accidents on snow and ice are caused when you brake ....
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Surely you need them both.

Without the 4wd you'll not be going anywhere if he lives somewhat remotely making the braking problem moot.

If he is able to get down the track, he's going to need to be able to stop the thing.

I realise this post is of no help whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Aye that would be my impression - and most accidents on snow and ice are caused when you brake ....
              4wd and winter tyres are different matters.

Winter tyres allow you to break and control where you go without skidding. 4wd allows you to get places 2wd won't go.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ground clearance in snow is key decision for choice between 4x4 and normal car with winter tyres

Compacted snow to sill level is the thing that stops me in my 4x4... wheel traction is secondary

HTH
                cretin
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My first 4x4 had 'normal' road tyres and were as good as tits on a bull off the road, or one ice and snow. One famous foray off the road onto a common where we played cricket saw me spin uselessly and get stuck quickly. I then invested in all terrain tyres and there was a remarkable increase in grip on snow, ice and mud. However, on the road, the noise increased slightly and the tyres were kind of flighty braking from high speed in the wet.

Currently using AT tyres on the GL and they're great in all conditions. Depends what Pater bought as his 4x4 really. But road tyres will only be good off road if you have low ration switch and diff lock for your 4x4 a la the rangey and disco, unlike the ML/X5.

AT tyres all the way.

EDIT - Turn off ABS and ESP in snow. My 535d had ESP which was unswitchable and in the snow, it was fecking useless to even think about going anywhere, as you need to be able to spin the tyres in the snow and you also need to be able to skid as sometimes, only building up a ramp of snow in front of the tyres will slow you down in the cold.
                  Last edited by Old Hack; 26 November 2012, 13:40.

Comment

Winter tyres are what you need. Obviously on ice you're going to skid but on soft snow or slush they're very good. Where as a car with normal tyres will slide regardless of whether it has 4WD or not Winter tyres on the whole will grip.

In Germany and Switzerland it's compulsory to have winter tyres in snowy conditions, they don't accept a 4WD as an alternative.

When I switched to Winter tyres I noticed a big difference, the car never slides. On normal tyres it feels like you're on an ice rink, obviously 4WD will give you an advantage but you still need to be "Stirling Moss" to keep the car on the road.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 November 2012, 13:49.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X