• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pie Chart

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pie Chart

Surely we're overdue for a Global Warming thread?

You may have noticed that our house 'sceptics' EO, BB and DP and friends rely almost exclusively on media reports, opinion pieces, books, newspapers and other unreviewed secondary sources to make their case.

Which seems odd, given that the reality (or otherwise) of anthropogenic climate change is essentially a scientific question, and usually for such questions one turns to the reviewed academic literature. I wonder if this pie chart provides a clue ?

Just a personal view but I think this underlines that we need to stop treating the delayers/inactivists with any respect; they have no scientific basis or underpinnings whatsoever, yet they have delayed effective action by perhaps a decade; which may end up as the difference between a manageable <2C rise and a catastophic >4C increase in global temperatures, perhaps millions of avoidable deaths.

Enjoy your evening.

Source Guest | Why Climate Deniers Have No Scientific Credibility - In One Pie Chart
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

You may have noticed that our house 'sceptics' EO, BB and DP and friends rely almost exclusively on media reports, opinion pieces, books, newspapers and other unreviewed secondary sources to make their case.

Which seems odd, given that the reality (or otherwise) of anthropogenic climate change is essentially a scientific question, and usually for such questions one turns to the reviewed academic literature. I wonder if this pie chart provides a clue ?

Just a personal view but I think this underlines that we need to stop treating the delayers/inactivists with any respect; they have no scientific basis or underpinnings whatsoever, yet they have delayed effective action by perhaps a decade; which may end up as the difference between a manageable <2C rise and a catastophic >4C increase in global temperatures, perhaps millions of avoidable deaths.

Enjoy your evening.

Source Guest | Why Climate Deniers Have No Scientific Credibility - In One Pie Chart
    Congratulations, you've reinforced my opinion that you're a chunt.

Take this and **** off.

Comment

I always welcome pj's threads because he does a much better job than anyone else of convincing people that AGW is a load of b*llox.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm having a case of deja vu.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I'm having a case of deja vu.
          Again?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

...I think this underlines that we need to stop treating the delayers/inactivists with any respect; they have no scientific basis or underpinnings whatsoever, yet they have delayed effective action by perhaps a decade; which may end up as the difference between a manageable <2C rise and a catastophic >4C increase in global temperatures, perhaps millions of avoidable deaths.
              No it doesn't. Science is about disagreeing, and it's certainly not about showing no respect for your opponents; that edges toward ad hominem arguments. As for talking about the 'millions of avoidable deaths' you're arguing from adverse consequences in a rather similar way to religious extremists; 'if you don't start believing now then you'll suffer eternity in damnation'. Now then, I'm not convinced either way, but I tend to lean towards the cautious attitude that there are plenty of good reasons to reduce fossil fuel use, quite aside from CO2. But you're not making things more credible here by attacking your opponents; attack their ideas and don't resort to cataclysmic doom stories.

And by the way, from your source's methodology;
              I read whatever combination of titles, abstracts, and entire articles was necessary to identify articles that "reject" human-caused global warming. To be classified as rejecting, an article had to clearly and explicitly state that the theory of global warming is false or, as happened in a few cases, that some other process better explains the observed warming. Articles that merely claimed to have found some discrepancy, some minor flaw, some reason for doubt, I did not classify as rejecting global warming. Articles about methods, paleoclimatology, mitigation, adaptation, and effects at least implicitly accept human-caused global warming and were usually obvious from the title alone.
              Desmogblog (http://s.tt/1tBXZ)
              Let's imagine he'd done it the other way around, assuming that an article doesn't agree with Global Warming if it doesn't explicitly say it does; what would the result have been? Of course, any answer is speculative, but I think this author's methodology, erm, how to put it technically, sucks.
              Last edited by Mich the Tester; 28 November 2012, 09:28. Reason: underlined
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

WGAS what low-status cretins think? You might as well ask the opinion of a 3 year old or some remote untouched tribe in the Amazonian jungle for all the sense these morons make.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  WGAS what low-status cretins think? You might as well ask the opinion of a 3 year old or some remote untouched tribe in the Amazonian jungle for all the sense these morons make.
                  Well, by that post it seems you do for one!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No, they post as many meaningless graphs as you do.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X