• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HM Revenue and Customs wants power to break speed limits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HM Revenue and Customs wants power to break speed limits

BBC News - HM Revenue and Customs wants power to break speed limits

HM Revenue and Customs has asked to be on a revised list of emergency services allowed to break the legal speed limit.

HMRC wants the powers for covert surveillance of organised crime.

Going through red lights - thats very covert isn't it?

However suggested this needed shooting.

The Inland Revenue gained all sorts of powers via the back door when they teamed up with Customs and Excise. This is going to be the icing on the cake.

Comment

Ministers said it was right revise the rules for those whose work "can mean the difference between life and death".
      Death & taxes hey?

I suspect this is a smokescreen probably they are actually after the right to do intimate cavity searches using baseball bats which is in the same bill.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So does this means special investigations squads tearing round the streets to query someone's tax return.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Seems like a sensible idea to me as long as its regulated. The only point I would make is that if this is organised crime then where does HMRCs responsibility end and that of the fraud / flying quad start. Why couldn't a police trained driver be seconded to HMRC to follow the crims.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
            Seems like a sensible idea to me as long as its regulated. The only point I would make is that if this is organised crime then where does HMRCs responsibility end and that of the fraud / flying quad start. Why couldn't a police trained driver be seconded to HMRC to follow the crims.
            Because that wouldn't satiate the power-mad morons at HMRC. They're out of control and it's going to get worse.

Comment

Door gets kicked down

Nobody expects the inquisition....

Very thin edge of wedge

Having said that, when we're in our house in France, we have had the police around to check we're paying our local taxes....

Comment

It's simple. By organised crime they mean any bunch of contractors, or anyone who represents contractors, who wishes to minimise their tax through avoidance, like having a limited company instead of being properly employed. Dawn raids at PCG towers...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Dawn raids at PCG towers...
                  Time to relocate to Bridgwater where its safer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Time to relocate to Bridgwater where its safer.
                    With teh floods we have, best bring a boat. Anyway, they're building Hinkley point C now, so best keep away....

Comment

Working...
                    X