• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed!

BBC News - Alcohol minimum price plan to be unveiled

Ministers are to unveil plans later for a minimum price for alcohol in England and Wales as part of a drive to tackle problem drinking.

The Home Office is expected to publish a consultation on the proposal, which was first put forward in the government's alcohol strategy in March.

A price of 40p per unit was suggested at the time.

But pressure has been mounting on ministers to follow Scotland's lead, where 50p has been proposed.
    Who here still buy's their cider by the gallon?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Never mind by the gallon. When I was a teenager back in Cornwall we used to buy 5 gallon barrels direct from the local scrumpy farms. Tasted like apples and straw and made you fall over.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Farmer up the road has got rid of his dairy herd & now has his bulk tank full of cider. 8 quid a gallon at my last visit.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Never mind by the gallon. When I was a teenager back in Cornwall we used to buy 5 gallon barrels direct from the local scrumpy farms. Tasted like apples and straw and made you fall over.
        We had some great stuff when we were in Dorset a few years ago, cloudy and flat - rocket fuel

Between that and the Blue Vinney, it was a fab few days.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

If I ran a company that made cheap booze I'd be papping myself - 'premium' brands of lager are already sold above that price. For instance the very best multi-buy deals on stuff like Becks Vier are £10 for 12 cans. 12 cans at 4% is 21.1 units which has a minimum price of £9.50.
          So at normal prices, brands like Stella and Bud are on or above the limit. If Tesco own-brand tat has to sell at the same price as those, it simply won't get bought anymore.

For spirits... a 750ml bottle at 40% has 30units and a minimum price of £13.50. That knocks out all the cheapo vodkas and blended whiskies but is about what you pay for branded stuff like Smirnoff, Gordons, etc.

So is all this simply going to mean anything for us middle-class people, or is it only going to hit the poor?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If I ran a company that made cheap booze I'd be papping myself - 'premium' brands of lager are already sold above that price. For instance the very best multi-buy deals on stuff like Becks Vier are £10 for 12 cans. 12 cans at 4% is 21.1 units which has a minimum price of £9.50.
            So at normal prices, brands like Stella and Bud are on or above the limit. If Tesco own-brand tat has to sell at the same price as those, it simply won't get bought anymore.

For spirits... a 750ml bottle at 40% has 30units and a minimum price of £13.50. That knocks out all the cheapo vodkas and blended whiskies but is about what you pay for branded stuff like Smirnoff, Gordons, etc.

So is all this simply going to mean anything for us middle-class people, or is it only going to hit the poor?
            A lot of the booze sold in supermarkets cheap are loss leaders just there to bring punters in the door to buy other goods, its the same as why Supermarket petrol is cheaper than average
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Definitely time to investigate beer and wine making kits again.

Paying all this tax for booze is a mug's game.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

These kits are very good - 50p/pint
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Unintended Consequences

Mess with the market...
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I'm not sure this new legislation would affect the taxation, isn't it simply telling retailers they can't sell below a certain price? i.e. price-fixing only.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X