• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large bank outsources operations tasks, gets walloped by rogue trader and fined 30m

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large bank outsources operations tasks, gets walloped by rogue trader and fined 30m

Outsourcing contract had more holes in it than Swiss cheese. Much quickness, not very much cheapness.

oops

Good find.

And of course UBS is shedding contractors too which is going to make things worse.

Comment

So this report, which highlights the information that would have exposed the rogue trader much sooner, went wrong and Bob said "OK, just stop delivering it"

Is that what happened?

I love Bob stories.

Comment

In danger of repeating myself, what on earth is the point of fining the company? Fine the individual wrongdoers. Fining the company just means they'll fire a load of people to save some money, and most of those people will be the innocent victims of whatever offence has been committed. Boss does something illegal, some low level admin person loses the job he's been doing for 20 years. Wow, that's justice.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

unnamed outsourcing provider
          Oh come on. Someone must be able to dish the dirt.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Oh come on. Someone must be able to dish the dirt.

Wipro, Infosys, Cognizant, TCS.

Take your pick.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              In danger of repeating myself, what on earth is the point of fining the company? Fine the individual wrongdoers. Fining the company just means they'll fire a load of people to save some money, and most of those people will be the innocent victims of whatever offence has been committed. Boss does something illegal, some low level admin person loses the job he's been doing for 20 years. Wow, that's justice.
              I'm of the opinion that fining is an ineffective deterrent be it for individuals or companies. I have an alternative deterrent:

First offence: A punt to the nuts (or lady parts) of a corporate wrongdoer from everyone who loses out financially, be it a shareholder, supplier, client or employee. It's accepted that some people may be too infirm or far away to administer said punt to the nuts so it should be "outsourceable" to a professional nut punter.

Second offence: capital punishment.

It'll certainly make people think twice about signing that dodgy agreement without proper due diligence.

Comment

Can't we just skip the "punt to the nuts" stage and go straight to step 2 ?

(Damned liberals! )
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Can't we just skip the "punt to the nuts" stage and go straight to step 2 ?

(Damned liberals! )
                  Why would you deny 'damned liberals' and indeed yourself the pleasure of punting some tuliphead in the nuts?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Why would you deny 'damned liberals' and indeed yourself the pleasure of punting some tuliphead in the nuts?
                    I was being ironic, but never mind.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X