• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Verbal Abuse needed....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verbal Abuse needed....

I have an interview tomorrow for a product I hardly know. Looks like it will be an epic fail.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I have an interview tomorrow for a product I hardly know. Looks like it will be an epic fail.
    Google a few buzz words and when asked a question deflect off at a tangent and waffle about the buzzword ignoring the actual question. It's what I do!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Google a few buzz words and when asked a question deflect off at a tangent and waffle about the buzzword ignoring the actual question. It's what I do!
      Sadly, this type of role no matter how much waffle with syrup you have, it won't work. It's a niche(ish) product.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Care to elaborate on what the product is?

I do a lot of work around PDF manipulation, there are various tools out there to do this, often the roles i go for require "in depth" knowledge of the particular flavor they have chosen. So i find some very obscure piece of functionality of the tool and talk about that at the earliest opportunity in the interview, they immediately think i am an expert and never ask any subsequent questions.

Comment

Bingo. I have an interview tomorrow afternoon and don't match at least half of what's on their jobspec. I also told them that during the telephone interview, so at least I can kick them in the balls if they start asking difficult questions about products I've never used...

I'm going to do a bit of reading up this afternoon. Whether that will be of any use or not I don't know. You never can tell with clients: some of them are sensible and realise you'll quickly pick it up, and some of them are anal and think their genius permies are the only ones on the planet who can do the job.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us that these don't turn out to be timewasters.
          Last edited by nomadd; 28 November 2012, 12:12.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

I had a recent interview (ie phone chat!) - role needed 'Solaris VM's....' knowledge according to spec, I'm not bad with Zones and LDOM's so I was a bit surprised to find it should have said 'Solaris, VMS.....' Oooops

Done a fair bit of VMS but that was 15 yrs ago or so, could only remember basic stuff like 'R AUTHORIZE' and 'BACKUP /NOLOG /NOREWIND' and all that shiit, and skilfully tangented off from the real question to the question I wanted to answer.

Didn't get the gig, though.....

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
              Bingo. I have an interview tomorrow afternoon and don't match at least half of what's on their jobspec. I also told them that during the telephone interview, so at least I can kick them in the balls if they start asking difficult questions about products I've never used...

I'm going to do a bit of reading up this afternoon. Whether that will be of any use or not I don't know. You never can tell with clients: some of them are sensible and realise you'll quickly pick it up, and some of them are anal and think their genius permies are the only ones on the planet who can do the job.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us that these don't turn out to be timewasters.
              Well, at least we are getting interviews. At the moment, I am averaging 1 every month... which isn't good.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                I had a recent interview (ie phone chat!) - role needed 'Solaris VM's....' knowledge according to spec, I'm not bad with Zones and LDOM's so I was a bit surprised to find it should have said 'Solaris, VMS.....' Oooops

Done a fair bit of VMS but that was 15 yrs ago or so, could only remember basic stuff like 'R AUTHORIZE' and 'BACKUP /NOLOG /NOREWIND' and all that shiit, and skilfully tangented off from the real question to the question I wanted to answer.

Didn't get the gig, though.....
                He he. I did a VMS role a few years back after a 10 year break from it. On day one of the gig., the only command I could remember was "HELP". Saved my bacon, that did.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Well, at least we are getting interviews. At the moment, I am averaging 1 every month... which isn't good.
                  Yeah, that's about the same for me. I have a pretty solid up-to-date skillset, but unfortunately suffer from extreme claustrophobia. Once I mention that I need stairs access, the agents and clients simple don't want to know. Still, it's been like this for years for me - always taken me months to find a new role - so I'm pretty used to it by now.

Don't worry, you'll land a role eventually. In the interim, just make sure you've kept a decent warchest!
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Just ask yourself What would Suity do?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X