• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found out the cause of my back problems....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found out the cause of my back problems....

MRI scan results back, gone through things with the quack.

I have a L5/S1 early degenerative disc, it is dyhydrated.

Thankfully the spinal cord seems to be intact, main symptoms are sciatica as this degeneration is around the sciatic nerve.

Thankfully new job 2 miles from home, so pretty perfect for popping out for local physio etc.....

Neurosurgeon appt getting booked to explore options.

did the scan pick up those purple prickles at all?

Comment

Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
      did the scan pick up those purple prickles at all?
      Black and white - I feel cheated

Comment

What music did you choose?

I had Led Zep.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I saw an interesting and informative programme on back problems.

It started with an X-Ray of back that was totally screwed. The Doctor talked it through showing all f***ed up discs, then he said that's my back, I don't have any pain and I can exercise normally.

The truth is virtually everyone has a bunch of screwed up discs by the time they're 50 and most (I stress most) of them don't need any surgery. Just because a disc has ruptured or swelled up doesn't mean it has to be operated on, it will recover...and it doesn't always look pretty on a scan. It seems though that some people are prone to inflamation of the nerves, i.e. they get pain where most people wouldn't. Apparently there are treatments for this, which are well worth chasing up before any surgery.

The danger of surgery is that it basically weakens the back and then you get another slipped disc 6 months later. The point is if you are prone to pain after a slipped disc, one operation may just help you for the next 12 months, before you get the next one.

My mother had this, had a slipped disc, very painful didn't go away, so had an operation. She was gr8 for a few months, then slipped another disc, same procedure. All in all she had 5 or 6 operations and was left with a very much weaker back with 4 or 5 discs missing.

Just thought it would be worth mentioning in case your surgeon recommends surgery.

Try exercises, strenghthening your back and consult a physician who knows his stuff, and get another opinion if he does recommend surgery. It should be something you really want to avoid.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 28 November 2012, 12:19.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            What music did you choose?

I had Led Zep.
            I had Radio 5 Live, which the MRI operator guy kept forgetting to turn back on after 20 minutes of;

'Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in again, breathe out again........, and breathe normally, stek' over and over again.

Lying twunt said I'd only be in the fecking thing for 20 mins and yeah, that was true, for the kind of test/calibration period - another 90 minutes after that. Now I'm not a claustrophobe, but I did start to feel empathy for those that are.

That was to diagnose my arrhythmia, ended up with the ICD which means I can't go in the MRI scanner again - yay!! The one at LGI (Leeds) is from the seventies, the white plastic has gone off-brown...

Comment

Also, losing weight is the best thing you can do for your back.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Also,getting a scantily clad asian woman to walk up and down it is the best thing you can do for your back.
                FTFY
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  The truth is virtually everyone has a bunch of screwed up discs by the time they're 50.

Try exercises, strenghthening your back.
                  +1

Most affected are those aged 30-50. It tends to get better after that.

Pilates was very good for me. Though I have heard alexander techique is good too.

I did an iron man with a stuffed L4/L5.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

That was to diagnose my arrhythmia, ended up with the ICD which means I can't go in the MRI scanner again - yay!! The one at LGI (Leeds) is from the seventies, the white plastic has gone off-brown...
                    You should try MRI with a bit of metal lodged in your right hand....

Comment

Working...
                    X