• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Money thrown away is handed back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Money thrown away is handed back

Money thrown away is handed back

The 'vast majority' of the money has been handed to police
    Most of the estimated £5,000 thrown into the air in a town centre and picked up by passers-by has now been handed back, say police.

Shoppers and motorists at a pedestrian crossing in Aberystwyth rushed to grab the cash on Monday, seconds after a man shouted: "Who wants free money?"

Police arrested the man and said later he was "receiving medical treatment".

Aberystwyth mayor Michael Jones said it showed people in the town were generally "honest and decent".

Everybody says that people aren't as honest as they used to be, but look what's happened
    Aberystwyth mayor Michael Jones

It is still not known exactly how much money was thrown away although it is estimated to have been £5,000.

Dyfed-Powys Police had appealed to people to give it back, but will not say exactly how much has been returned.

A police spokeswoman said the "vast majority of the money has been returned".

Mr Jones said: "Everybody says that people aren't as honest as they used to be, but look what's happened.

"There are bound to be a few bad apples in every town, but on the whole people in Aberystwyth are honest and decent."

He added: "I recognised most of the people on the CCTV footage picking up the money, so I'm glad they've handed it in."

Police said no action would be taken against people who returned the money.

The incident happened in Alexandra Road on Monday at 1100 BST. Later police arrested a 40-year-old man for driving offences in nearby Aberaeron.

John Morris saw what happened from outside his shop in nearby Terrace Road, and also caught it on his CCTV system which scans the area near the town's railway station.

"I just couldn't believe my eyes," said Mr Morris. "People were shocked and just couldn't believe it.

----------

Obviously none of the CUK types were there at the time

"Police said no action would be taken against people who returned the money."
    That's nice of them. Considering they weren't breaking the law by picking it up in the first place, so bringing it back is especially kind.

Comment

I'm sure the New Lie will rush in some hasty legislation making picking up money thrown into the air illegal. That would be the fairest thing to do.

Comment

Working...
      X