• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do I want the new iMac - when I've no need for a new home computer whatsoever?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do I want the new iMac - when I've no need for a new home computer whatsoever?

I don't even find Apple products easy to use, the Mrs iPhone and iPad confuse the hell out of me, where as Droid seems to be intuative.

But they do look very nice...
    27 inches of sleek loveliness that I have no need for but would look very smart in the office.
    Anti-bedwetting advice

The new ones do look nice; I do some Mac development work but I'm not sure I could justify the cost just yet My 2008 MacBook will have to struggle on a while yet.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have the previous incarnation, 2011 27" 3.4 i7, 32gb ram, waiting for OWC SSD upgrade and 3tb SATA too. No advantage to me other then it looks a bit thinner.

The Apple Fusion drive thing is a waste of time, don't be tempted by that, reports are that it doesn't really work - better to have SSD for boot and fast access files - movies, music, pics etc on the SATA HDD....

Other than that - totally happy - have Windows 8 in a Vmware VM - it's better than I thought but still not a patch on OSX. I am an Apple Dev, just for betas really I'm not developer, have IOS 6.1 b2 on my iPhone and iPad, and AppleTV.

OSX 10.9 is on the radar, still no iTunes 11 tho!!

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
        I don't even find Apple products easy to use, the Mrs iPhone and iPad confuse the hell out of me, where as Droid seems to be intuative.

But they do look very nice...
        27 inches of sleek loveliness that I have no need for but would look very smart in the office.
        Fanboi!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          The Apple Fusion drive thing is a waste of time, don't be tempted by that, reports are that it doesn't really work - better to have SSD for boot and fast access files - movies, music, pics etc on the SATA HDD....
          Sources? Everything I've read reckons the Fusion drive is definite win. E.g. MacMini with Fusion drive tested by MacWorld:
          But it was the Fusion Drive that really kicked the BTO Mac mini into overdrive. The standard configuration £679 Mac mini with its 5400-rpm hard drive took more than three times as long to complete our copy file and uncompress file tests as the Fusion Drive did in the BTO Mac mini. The BTO Mac mini’s PCMark productivity test score (using VMWare Fusion) was three times higher than the high-end standard configuration’s score.
          - Lab Tested: The Mac mini, maximised with Fusion Drive - Mac - Macworld UK

Apple Insider reporting a test, also MacMini, by Techfast Lunch&Dinner:
          Their tests found the Fusion Drive Mac mini started in just 15.7 seconds, while the 2012 Mac mini with a traditional hard drive took 34.1 seconds to start.

Major improvements were also found in a disk speed test, which revealed the Fusion Drive can achieve write speeds of more than 300 megabytes per second, and write speeds exceeding 400 megabytes per second. In comparison, the Mac mini with 5400-rpm drive couldn't exceed 100 megabytes per second on either the read or write test.

- Apple's Fusion Drive cuts Mac startup time in half, triples read/write speeds
          - The video review they cite: Apple Fusion Drive: Speedtest & Demo (It's fast) - YouTube

The only negative comment I've found is from some propellorhead who did tests involving writing multiple 2GB files, and reckons it's better to have two drives and judiciously choose between them on a per-task basis: normal people will never, ever, do that, and nor are they likely to be writing 2GB files in rapid succession. (As he also betrays a lack of understanding of how it actually operates and complains that it doesn't behave in the way it's not designed to, I'm not overly impressed with his commentary, but for the record it's at MPG blog - Update on Apple 'Fusion': Writes are Fast, No Smart Migration.)

Ars Technica put it well in their article informed by a copy of Apple's service engineer training document for it:
          I'm definitely not going all starry-eyed over Fusion Drive, and it's not a revolutionary new thing that will make your computer shoot rainbows out of its USB slots while curing cancer and making sick children well again. However, as we'll see, Fusion Drive is a transparent tiering technology that simply works. It's that seamless always-on functionality that makes it newsworthy—you buy a computer with Fusion Drive enabled and you don't need to install or configure any additional hardware or software in order to enjoy its benefits.
          - Achieving fusion

Makes your computer quite a bit faster without installing or configuring anything? Sounds OK to me

Comment

Isn't fusion basically a hybrid, which definitely has been shown to be useful?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I run a crucial Adrenaline in my PC at home and it's well worth having.

Trouble is it only works under windoze.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's a bit more complex than that: hybrids are basically cacheing on the hardware level, whereas Fusion works at the OS level, combining the SSD and the hard disk as if they were one drive. Same components in the sense of both being memory and a hard disk, but they're put together and used differently.

Comment

It's HSM really on a lower level, take nickfitz point - will try it when I get it...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    It's a bit more complex than that: hybrids are basically cacheing on the hardware level, whereas Fusion works at the OS level, combining the SSD and the hard disk as if they were one drive. Same components in the sense of both being memory and a hard disk, but they're put together and used differently.
                    You can actually build you own see , Fusion drive on older Macs? YES! Since Apple has...

however it does increase the chance of disc failure as there are two things that could go wrong.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X