• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

X months contract, with 1 week get out clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X months contract, with 1 week get out clause

Hi guys,

I've been offered a contract, its 3 months long, but there is a clause that says they can end the contract with 1 weeks notice for any reason they fancy. Does this not make the 3 months totally pointless? There is no security at all that I'm going to have work more than a week in the future..

Thanks

Originally posted by brightbits View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been offered a contract, its 3 months long, but there is a clause that says they can end the contract with 1 weeks notice for any reason they fancy. Does this not make the 3 months totally pointless? There is no security at all that I'm going to have work more than a week in the future..

Thanks
    I will say this nicely before you get savaged (you'll see) - this is basically what contracting is all about and I am sorry to tell you but this type of clause is very common. The client wants to use someone who will give them a totally flexible option - if they wanted you on staff for 3 months you would be given a fixed term contract which is a different kettle of fish altogether

HTH
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

That's the reality.

Comment

Yeah, I understand this but what's the point in offering 3 month contracts? because you know.. its not?

Comment

Yeah, I understand this but what's the point in offering 3 month contracts? because you know.. its not?
          Because they want to know that you'll be there for three months but they want to be able to get rid of you with 1 weeks notice.

The contract flexibility should be made up for by the rate they pay you compared to a normal employee.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Well, it's more like a purchase order with a call off. They are buying some consultancy from you. They think that three months will be sufficient time to get the job done so they issue a purchase order for three months. They put a one week clause in so that when they have identified that the job is done then they can get rid of you quickly, easily, efficiently and cost effectively.

(is 'cost effectively' good English?)

Comment

Because that's what the agency sells. It never ever bears any relation to how much effort is required to deliver whatever it is they want delivering.

Don't forget, agencies don't let on that they supply contractors, they sell manpower reources from their own stable of workers (go look at any of their websites, they all tell the same story). And what's worse, a terrifying large number of clients beleive them, to the extent that most manpower requests and programme plans are budgeted in three month chunks.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks
                You are learning quick.. Now that is less one over... lets get on to lessons 2 to 4000....
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks
                  I had exactly the same concerns when I started as a contractor. However gradually you get used to living week to week and most of the contracts nowadays do not give even that.

Whether you accept or not is entirely up to you considering your options.

On the bright side - if the client wants to terminate your contract they will and its better for you if they do not have to invent a cause to do so.

On the dark note ... I know people who gave notice on their existing contracts just to receive the notification that the new contract is off. Now they work permanent.
                  Last edited by mos; 29 November 2012, 15:43.
                  If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Nature of the game. It also works the other way around. I've just finished month 11 of a 6 month contract and it was my decision to leave. Could have got another year out of it the way it's going. High rate = low reliability of a regular income. You'll have some projects canned and the contract is cut short, some will create further projects and you'll get an extension. Over a few years it a good contractor should be equal or positive in the length of time spent at a ClientCo versus original plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X