• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing contract specific reference books?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensing contract specific reference books?

I'm still new to all this, so apologies if this sounds like a silly question. I'd also phone my umbrella directly for clarification, but I'm in the US for another few days, and I'm too impatient to wait till next week.

There are a number of essential reference books that I will need to purchase for my current gig. Very contract specific stuff, so books I'm unlikely to need for any future contracts (this is a 12-month minimum contract though, likely to be more long term than that). Overall cost comes to about £130, so nothing hugely excessive. Is this something I could legitimately expense?

I've read a few guides but couldn't find any clear guidance on this.

IANAA but I can't see any problem with buying reference books. They are tools for the job that you doing, so pretty essential really.

I'm in trouble if there is a problem as I have an entire library of reference books!

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
      IANAA but I can't see any problem with buying reference books. They are tools for the job that you doing, so pretty essential really.

I'm in trouble if there is a problem as I have an entire library of reference books!
      Yeah, I thought if I was doing this as a LTD it would be a definite yes, so I'm hoping it is with an umbrella, too.

As a last resort I could request these books be purchased directly by the client (they have indicated that this is an option), but I'd prefer to actually own them.

Comment

I think expensing them will be fine. You won't have to claim immediately - just make sure you keep the receipts.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
        X