PDA

View Full Version : Expensing contract specific reference books?

formant
29th November 2012, 17:10
I'm still new to all this, so apologies if this sounds like a silly question. I'd also phone my umbrella directly for clarification, but I'm in the US for another few days, and I'm too impatient to wait till next week.

There are a number of essential reference books that I will need to purchase for my current gig. Very contract specific stuff, so books I'm unlikely to need for any future contracts (this is a 12-month minimum contract though, likely to be more long term than that). Overall cost comes to about £130, so nothing hugely excessive. Is this something I could legitimately expense?

I've read a few guides but couldn't find any clear guidance on this.

RasputinDude
29th November 2012, 17:33
IANAA but I can't see any problem with buying reference books. They are tools for the job that you doing, so pretty essential really.

I'm in trouble if there is a problem as I have an entire library of reference books!

formant
29th November 2012, 17:41
IANAA but I can't see any problem with buying reference books. They are tools for the job that you doing, so pretty essential really.

I'm in trouble if there is a problem as I have an entire library of reference books!

Yeah, I thought if I was doing this as a LTD it would be a definite yes, so I'm hoping it is with an umbrella, too.

As a last resort I could request these books be purchased directly by the client (they have indicated that this is an option), but I'd prefer to actually own them.

Zippy
29th November 2012, 18:07
I think expensing them will be fine. You won't have to claim immediately - just make sure you keep the receipts.