• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scammer bought the bloody laptop.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scammer bought the bloody laptop.

I give up. That laptop I was selling got bought by a scammer:

Hi there,
    As you know i live in uk, i will be paying you via Postal Order or
    Paypal anyone you like, i want you to be aware that i am sending it to
    a friend who has post to Nigeria because of is new job, he has been
    transfered to American British Tobacco, i will like you to find out the
    postage cost to Nigeira, i will be very grateful if you can assist me
    in sending this item to him, i will like you to send me your home
    address and also a valid e-mail address, so that i will send your
    postal order immediate you find out the postage cost to Nigeira.

glen curtis.

I give up. Ebay is impossible these days. That's the SECOND idiot who has bought it.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

I don't see the problem. If you ask him to pay by postal order and you wait until you receive and successfully cash the postal order before posting the laptop whats the problem?
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 24 June 2006, 11:43.

Comment

Because the postal order will never turn up and they'll send a load of emails that waste loads of time trying to get you to send the laptop without them having paid.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

His problem is that he's got a timewaster while genuine paying person did not win the auction. Moral of the story - refuse to accept offers from people with little positive feedback, and stop trying to make an extra buck - take your laptop and gift it to your relative or something like that.

Comment

It gets worse. Apparently the buyer's account has been hacked by someone without his knowledge. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he was completely dumbfounded that he'd bought a laptop. He has over 200 positive feedback and has not used ebay for nearly 6 months.

I can't afford to "gift" something like this to a relative. I'm sorry but:

a) All my relatives are worthless bastards
          b) I need the money at the moment for other things.

I'm going to relist it AGAIN with an Immediate Payment Required option to take cash through paypal. I'll lose a few quid but at least I'll actually get the cash then.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
            I'm going to relist it AGAIN with an Immediate Payment Required option to take cash through paypal. I'll lose a few quid but at least I'll actually get the cash then.
            Until they do othe chargeback in a couple of months :-(

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
              Until they do othe chargeback in a couple of months :-(
              Can't do that these days. I have an agreement with the bank to contact me if any charges are taken from DD from Paypal that are over £10. HSBC are a wonderful bank!

Comment

Why don't you set your buyer preferences to

"must have a Paypal account", "not less than 0 feedback" and theres some other preferences there. I find when selling highish value electrical goods putting the must have Paypal account weeds out all the African/Eastern European scammers.

Comment

Yeah good point I suppose. I do have a paypal account!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                    Yeah good point I suppose. I do have a paypal account!
                    Why didn't you offer the second chance to the second highest bidder. Cant all be nigerian Scammers!

Same thing happened to me with a mobile, I waited for it to turn up in paypal, then withdrew it. I then sent it! Paypal told me 3 months later it was stolen money and they wanted it back.

Yeah Righot
                    !
                    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Working...
                    X