• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boiler screwed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiler screwed

The fan unit on our boiler started to die at the end of last week, and you never realise how you take having hot water readily available on tap for granted until it happens.

Even had a shower at 4a.m. on Sunday morning as I happened to notice it was working after taking a mid-night comfort break.

Plumbers said they could get the pump for £87+VAT, what! I thought and got it on Ebay for £56 inc VAT and delivery.
    Ordered fan late Thursay night, arrived today, should be fitted tomorrow.

The wood burning stove in the kitchen has proved it's worth over the past few days.

Never take your boiler for granted.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Get a Worchester Combi boiler, they're great and reliable. Don't get a random 'Corgi registered' boiler fixer to sort it out, they're cowboys and a waste of time and money.

Comment

Haven't you tried bleeding the radiators yet?
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Our boiler is 37 years old. Too expensive to replace until we have to.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

£14 a month for boiler cover mate. Worth it.

Mine packed up xmas day one year when I didnt have cover. Mrs wasn't happy when I said no way to calling someone in on boxing day!
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            The fan unit on our boiler started to die at the end of last week, and you never realise how you take having hot water readily available on tap for granted until it happens.

Plumbers said they could get the pump for £87+VAT, what! I thought and got it on Ebay for £56 inc VAT and delivery.
            Why did you get a replacement pump for a faulty fan?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My old boiler had a fan (a blowy thingy) sat right above the combustion box

Fecking thing would always seize up after a year or so.. couldn't just buy the fan bit always has to buy the "assembly" at huge wonga - I tried graphite flake onto the fan bearings which worked for a while and then WD40 which worked for a while longer ...so I got a dab hand at removing the boiler cover and a couple of squirts of lube would get it running again

...then it stated cracking the heat exchanger so it was time to go
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My old boiler is always getting screwed and I never take her for granted. £56+vat a time sounds about right as well. I feel your pain.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Even had a shower at 4a.m. on Sunday morning as I happened to notice it was working after taking a mid-night comfort break.

Ordered fan late Thursay night, arrived today, should be fitted tomorrow.

The wood burning stove in the kitchen has proved it's worth over the past few days.

Never take your boiler for granted.
                  As my Gran used to say, always have more than one way to heat your water and cook your food. If/when our boiler breaks we just flick the immersion switch on the Megaflo and bathe away.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    My old boiler is always getting screwed and I never take her for granted. £56+vat a time sounds about right as well. I feel your pain.
                    That's a bit mean, didn't she support you when you were on the bench?

Comment

Working...
                    X