• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Economy still stuffed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economy still stuffed

For the last 8 years I have been driving the kids round to see the Christmas lights every December. 2004-2008 it was easy - short drive - see loads. Every year since then it has tailed off. Last night was the most miserable I have ever seen. Almost no Christmas lights. Even the ones that collected for charity are not doing it this year - presumably they did not collect enough last year.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    For the last 8 years I have been driving the kids round to see the Christmas lights every December. 2004-2008 it was easy - short drive - see loads. Every year since then it has tailed off. Last night was the most miserable I have ever seen. Almost no Christmas lights. Even the ones that collected for charity are not doing it this year - presumably they did not collect enough last year.
    I have a similar way of judging the economy. When i go and visit my parents, i drive past a little farmshop, i always take not of the price of a kilo of potatoes

Comment

You mean, as in Oxford Street, or as in...

Paul Toole's Christmas lights in pictures - Telegraph

Comment

I've seen a similar decrease in the number of 'corporate' lights - by which I mean lights that are put on by an organisation.

However, last night I was out doing a Santa's sleigh with the Round Table and all of the houses that I went to were very generous with their donations.

I would argue that individuals are still contributing, but they are now very much more savvy about who they give money to. Organisations however, are trying to shed costs left, right and centre and the Christamas lights are an easy target.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Good point! I meant like Paul O'Toole's stuff. Best was a house with a train, a reindeer and santa climbing up a ladder! Usually at least one house has about 40 moving lights.

I am not even sure you can drive up Oxford Street at the moment? Even buses/taxis are banned?

Comment

It's done pretty well in Guildford / surrey , having been in Maidenhead for a stint it's a breath of fresh air.

Maidenhead was awful for it though.

Comment

Christmas lights cause Global Warming.

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet | The Courier-Mail

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

What a Toole. Imagine living nextdoor to that.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Check out Longford Road, Melksham Christmas lights and imagine living next door to that. He's turned it into charitable work now (presumably so he can reclaim his electricity forst), but it's an eyesore.

What is it with this town and Xmas though; it's the home of the lad Park who claims to eat Xmas dinner every day...

Edit:

This lad

Comment

Nothing to do with the economy - it's that Christmas has become too dangerous Stanley Christmas tree pulled down after lights were switched over fears vandals could be electrocuted | Mail Online
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X