• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of flights to USA :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of flights to USA :-(

Had a look last night with the view to holiday in September next year.

Virgin - £700 economy, £1400 premium economy.....

Not cheap even for economy. Don't get me wrong not skint but don't like paying double for premium economy. Way I look at it is you're paying £350 each way = about £35 an hour just to sit in some nicer seats.

In the past have flown with United and paid something like £100 extra for their economy plus or whatever which was nice. Seems to be a bit of gap in the market though for those who dont want to sit with the riff raff but dont want to pay double.

What do you lot do? Rough it or splash?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

We last flew in 2008 and it cost £350 a seat return to Miami (there or there abouts). We are going in 2013, and know the prices will have at least doubled.

If you don't have kids, might be a good idea to fly to somewhere like Toronto or Boston (cheapest I think) and then get a driveaway somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I rough it.

Flying to Girona tomorrow morning, but at ten whole pounds for the dedicated extra leg room seats, wow, that is a serious amount of money.

Flying there and back for 35 quid each way by the way

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
        I rough it.

Flying to Girona tomorrow morning, but at ten whole pounds for the dedicated extra leg room seats, wow, that is a serious amount of money.

Flying there and back for 35 quid each way by the way
        Like I said, bit extra no problem but theres a little thing in my head saying double dont do it!

Comment

Typically the premium economy seats are the old style business class seats from before they introduced flat bed style ones.

It depends on how comfortable you can sit in a std economy seat for that length of time. I can't handle a valleys air flight for more than a couple of hours without wanting to explode. On a decent airline I can do 6-7 hrs.

Comment

Like I said, bit extra no problem but theres a little thing in my head saying double dont do it!
            If you start thinking about it, then you'll never go, as for 2 people, it's almost £3k, £5-6k lost earnings, and the £4k you'll spend out there, makes it an expensive 2 weeks.

I spent 6 weeks touring France and Spain this year. Once we factored in loss of earnings, we decided never to do it again....

Comment

Where in the USA... that sounds expensive for East Coast but not especially for West Coast.

The upgrade prices vary like the normal prices do over time, how far ahead are you booking? When we flew to SF I seem to recall the upgrade to PE was a much smaller percentage of the economy cost - we could have gone Upper for double the economy price.

Of course you could consider other airlines and routes - are you going direct or is a change acceptable?

PE on Virgin was nice but not that much nicer - I'm slim so the wider seat isn't a massive bonus!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                If you start thinking about it, then you'll never go, as for 2 people, it's almost £3k, £5-6k lost earnings, and the £4k you'll spend out there, makes it an expensive 2 weeks.

I spent 6 weeks touring France and Spain this year. Once we factored in loss of earnings, we decided never to do it again....
                Noooooo! dont remind me :-)

Comment

Had a look last night with the view to holiday in September next year.

Not cheap even for economy. Don't get me wrong not skint but don't like paying double for premium economy. Way I look at it is you're paying £350 each way = about £35 an hour just to sit in some nicer seats.

In the past have flown with United and paid something like £100 extra for their economy plus or whatever which was nice. Seems to be a bit of gap in the market though for those who dont want to sit with the riff raff but dont want to pay double.

Exactly the same with me. Got prices for the East Coast next September as we're meeting friends in Martha's Vineyard and was gobsmacked by how much they'd gone up. We always go premium long haul and sometimes short haul as well. We try and avoid steerage as we're both getting on a bit.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Where in the USA... that sounds expensive for East Coast but not especially for West Coast.

The upgrade prices vary like the normal prices do over time, how far ahead are you booking? When we flew to SF I seem to recall the upgrade to PE was a much smaller percentage of the economy cost - we could have gone Upper for double the economy price.

Of course you could consider other airlines and routes - are you going direct or is a change acceptable?

PE on Virgin was nice but not that much nicer - I'm slim so the wider seat isn't a massive bonus!
                    Florida

Comment

Working...
                    X