• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good programmer / bad programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good programmer / bad programmer

Does anyone have any pith quotes about the cost of a good programmer as opposed to that of a bad programmer? Especially one from a person or organisation of standing.

I know that there was research carried out in the 70s or possibly 80s, that showed a good programmer was some 20x more cost effective that an average programmer; and 50x more cost effective than a poor programmer. But I can't remember who did the research, which weakens the argument somewhat. Also, I remember reading somewhere that it costs one unit to fix in development, 10 to fix in test and 100 to fix in production. Again - anyone know the source?

And yez - I am googling to try to find the sources.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Steve McConnell said 10*...

Programmer Productivity: The “Tenfinity Factor”

Comment

Fred Brooks in "The Mythical Man Month", if I remember correctly from my software engineering days - don't know what the productivity ratio was he mentioned.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

A quote I read from Steve Jobs, he quoted a 25x increase in productivity in A programmers vs lesser mortals.

Comment

Perfect. You are a flippin' genius.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
            A quote I read from Steve Jobs, he quoted a 25x increase in productivity in A programmers vs lesser mortals.
            Darn. I negged you a while back, and now I can't + rep you....

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Fred Brooks in "The Mythical Man Month", if I remember correctly from my software engineering days - don't know what the productivity ratio was he mentioned.
              A great book.

Joel Spolsky definitely talks about this too but I can't find which article.

edit: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/HighNotes.html
              Not the one I was thinking of but related.
              Last edited by d000hg; 5 December 2012, 11:34.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I like this quote from old Billy Gates:

“A great lathe operator commands several times the wage of an average lathe operator, but a great writer of software code is worth 10,000 times the price of an average software writer.” –Bill Gates

Comment

Originally posted by teclo View Post
                  I like this quote from old Billy Gates:

“A great lathe operator commands several times the wage of an average lathe operator, but a great writer of software code is worth 10,000 times the price of an average software writer.” –Bill Gates
                  Shame Microsoft doesn't seem to employ any of them
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Shame Microsoft doesn't seem to employ any of them
                    Originally posted by Mrs Gates' little boy
                    “If you think you're a really good programmer… read (Knuth's) Art of Computer Programming… You should definitely send me a résumé if you can read the whole thing."

Comment

Working...
                    X