• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blood sucking lawyers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood sucking lawyers

Divorce battle lands pair with £1.3m legal bill - Telegraph

Accusing both sides of "profligacy", they ruled the husband had spent money fighting the divorce which he knew he did not have, leaving him heavily in debt to his lawyers.

No criticism of the legal profession then.

Calling in lawyers during a divorce is like calling out the fire brigade if your house is on fire and watching them pour napalm on it.

So pleased I dumped mine and fought my own case.

But Mrs Musallam reacted with “outrage” when a previous judge ordered her to purchase her former husband – who was living in a small bedsit – a £450,000 house and pay him a £50,000 lump sum that would help pay off his debts.
    She has spent more than £800,000 on legal costs fighting her former husband, and disputed his claim that her husband’s estate was worth £5 billion (£3.1 billion), the court heard.
    So she is worth Billions and he got half a million? Seems fair, he should have had a sex change then he could have had half!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      the husband had spent money fighting the divorce which he knew he did not have
      That's his own fault then.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Presumably if you're battling a spouse in an acrimonious divorce, Wars of the Roses style, then anything that goes to the lawyers instead of the spouse is money well spent, especially if they end up with the lot.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          That's his own fault then.
          I can feel the Christian love coming through there.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I can feel the Christian love coming through there.
            Regardless of my compassion for him, it's still his fault. Christianity teaches forgiveness not abdication from responsibility.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Presumably if you're battling a spouse in an acrimonious divorce, Wars of the Roses style, then anything that goes to the lawyers instead of the spouse is money well spent, especially if they end up with the lot.
              Proper stylee.

I reckon I should get into Law, they do seem to make a fair old packet

Comment

Agree with the above, having fought my own tax disputes most of it (law) is just commonsense. Just put a case out and support with some evidence. Ocasionally you can spend 100 quid on an opinion from a lawyer.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Regardless of my compassion for him, it's still his fault. Christianity teaches forgiveness not abdication from responsibility.
                  It also appears to teach young children the game of hide the sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Agree with the above, having fought my own tax disputes most of it (law) is just commonsense. Just put a case out and support with some evidence. Ocasionally you can spend 100 quid on an opinion from a lawyer.
                    And for another 100 quid he'll give you another, contradictory, opinion.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X