• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow troubles? WIMPS!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow troubles? WIMPS!

Fears of Sir Ranulph Fiennes ahead of lung-bursting 'impossible' journey across Antarctica - Telegraph
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I did cycle to work while it was -2 today. Does that count?

Comment

There's a fine line between "Because it's there" and "Because I'm an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I did cycle to work while it was -2 today. Does that count?
        No. Ran Fiennes is 68 and it'll be -92 in Antarctica.

I rode up a hill yesterday in wind and snow. Well I didn't because the rear wheel kept slipping, so I picked up the bike, slung it over my shoulders and soldiered on to reach the top through a total white out, then stepped back on and blasted downhill, regardless of the ice, actually I didn't; I gave up and went to the pub instead.

Comment

I remember reading about him taking the tops of his frostbitten fingers off with a black and decker in his shed. I think that's rather odd behaviour, so him doing this, well, like those extreme sportsmen and women, you just know you're going to be reading about them towards the end of the paper within a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            There's a fine line between "Because it's there" and "Because I'm an idiot"
            I remember my ex-father-out-law saying that Colonel H Jones was an idiot. As he fought in the 8th army I suppose he had the right to say it. But maybe he had a point.

Comment

>> trek on foot across the Antarctic in wintertime.
              >> Temperatures are expected to reach no more than about -70C.

Why not try walking across Mars or something?! Madness.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I rode up a hill yesterday in wind and snow. Well I didn't because the rear wheel kept slipping, so I picked up the bike, slung it over my shoulders and soldiered on to reach the top through a total white out, then stepped back on and blasted downhill, regardless of the ice, actually I didn't; I gave up and went to the pub instead.
                Are we meant to believe you? Where is it you live? Ah, Holland. Not exactly famous for its hills :-)
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

His autobiography is very good read - he's quite honest about why he does these things - it's how he makes his money; he raises his profile in doing an expedition and then lives off the earnings of after-dinner speaking for a while.

Personally, I think he's an inspiring character.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Are we meant to believe you? Where is it you live? Ah, Holland. Not exactly famous for its hills :-)
                    We have a thing nearby called a 'berg', which is a slightly ambitious name as it's 70 metres high.

Comment

Working...
                    X