• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budget 2012 - How are contractors affected?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is reduction in corp tax applicable? Anything else to highlight?

Can't remember - given the 2012 budget was back in March

Comment

If you mean the Autumn statement made on Wednesday, the cut in corporation tax is only applicable to larger companies. We will still have the 20% rate.

There was mention of clamping down on "avoidance" (I use speech marks because avoidance is legal and is not evasion)

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
        There was mention of clamping down on "avoidance" (I use speech marks because avoidance is legal and is not evasion)
        I think the aim to to target "aggressive tax avoidance" - so this seems to be aimed at the artificial tax schemes, usually based offshore, Isle of Man, Jersey etc, in which you pay very little tax, most of the cost being the scheme provider's fee. I guess the schemes used by stars such as Jimmy Carr, Anne Robinson etc, but also by thousands of other less known people.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
        X