• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going accountant free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going accountant free

Right.

I'm toying with the idea of doing my own accounts and submitting PAYE, VAT and year end stuff online myself.

Reasons:

1. More and more is done onine anyway and accountancy packages can submit direct.
    2. My business is very simple.
    3. I want more control and understanding of what is going on.
    4. Accountant fees go up and up.

I need advice on what software I need to buy that automates payroll, VAT (flat rate), year end company accounts and ideally self assessment and then submits all data to HMRC and Companies House online?

Anyone doing it all themselves?

Cheers,

Dim

PS I prefer a proper accountancy package installed on my computer rather than some online hosted package.

Big vote for sage instant accounts/payroll here.

My accountant charges me next to nothing as I hand her a set of done accounts and she checks the maths. Best of both worlds for me.

Comment

I assume you mean this?

Sage Instant Financial Package 2012

Which seems to be the accounts and payroll combined in one package?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Right.

I'm toying with the idea of doing my own accounts and submitting PAYE, VAT and year end stuff online myself.

Reasons:

1. More and more is done onine anyway and accountancy packages can submit direct.

I need advice on what software I need to buy that automates payroll, VAT (flat rate), year end company accounts and ideally self assessment and then submits all data to HMRC and Companies House online?

Cheers,

Dim

PS I prefer a proper accountancy package installed on my computer rather than some online hosted package.
        I am doing it all myself, using HMRC Basic PAYE Tools and this
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Another reason

Disgraced church treasurer who stole over £500,000 ordered to pay back £1 (From Stourbridge News)
          Accountant accused £1 million fraud | This is Cornwall
          Accountant stole £34k from Herefordshire charity (From Ledbury Reporter)
          Darren Upton, Married Accountant, Jailed For Stealing £500,000 To Lavish On Mistress Victoria Fraenzel

Comment

Just one piece of advice - make sure you have an understanding of accountancy principals before you start - you can get into a right muddle with PAYE and VAT however good the software
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Just one piece of advice - make sure you have an understanding of accountancy principals before you start - you can get into a right muddle with PAYE and VAT however good the software
              I uphold the comments made by Lisa. If, as you suggest, your bookkeeping will be very limited and straightforward your accountant should in any case have little trouble fully acquainting you with your financial position. By the same token he shouldn't have to charge you very much for his/her services.

What I find happening is that Contractors/Freelancers and Small company owners only discover the questions they should have asked after they have returned home from consultation with their accountant and are then faced with the prospect of paying for another visit or staying ignorant. It is little wonder in such circumsatnces that they think about doing the bookkeeping themselves.

The fact remains that it is invariably better to stick to your own area of expertise - you can earn more per hour advancing your own business than trying to be a bookkeeper.

As for accountants' honesty, I can safely say that they are overwhelmingly as uncorruptible as you yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Precept View Post

As for accountants' honesty, I can safely say that they are overwhelmingly as uncorruptible as you yourself.
                Oh bugger....
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Right.

Reasons:

Cheers,

Dim

payroo for payroll - free for small payrolls.

Sage for accounts.

Comment

I pay my accountant about 1200 quid a year for everything, payroll, accounts, keeping up to the minute with legislation and keeping hmrc in their box etc. In other words about 100 quid a month.

Put another way, that's a third of my usual daily rate. And, I dont have to bother fannying around with packages, making sure I've made no mistakes, missed anything obvious or submitted everything by every deadline day plus I dont have to spend my spare time doing it all.

If people want to take on the hassle of doing their own accounts (because that's what it really is) for the sake of 100 quid a month, that's up to them.

Me? I've known my accountant for 15 years and have had 3 companies done through him. Works for me every time.

Oh, and Sage is utter tulipe!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X