• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How easy to keep changing contracts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy to keep changing contracts?

I've worked about 15 years as a permie, and then the last 6 as a contractor. Thing is, I've always taken long term (3yr+) contracts due to wanting a bit of stability, having a big family and that. But now I'm thinking I might be better off moving around between short contracts, staying outside IR35 and basically milking my experience and skills for everything I can before I get too past it. It might also keep me fresh, perhaps.

So, I was wondering, what are people's experiences of the nomadic lifestyle - 3 months here, 2 months there? Is it any easier to pick up short-term contracts compared to longer ones? Does being outside IR35 make enough of a difference in take-home pay to make the gamble worthwhile? Also... any other pros and cons, just list them. Cheers.

Long-term contracts do give continuity of income. However, I've done two long-term contracts in the past, and after both I found I was "out of circulation" and found it difficult to find new work.

So now I look at one year as a limit, with some three and six-monthers. This keeps a variety of experience on my recent CV, which means a bit more to agents and clients than having a long stint at the same, comfortable place.

I'm not brilliant at selling myself, so it forces me to practice that skill as well.

It keeps you fresh (as you say), adapting to new challenges a couple of times a year or so, and looking for quick wins.

Lastly, variety is the spice of life - you can experience working in more crap towns.

Comment

Constantly moving - yeah its almost a skill in itself
      You get real good at jobserve
      you get real good at telephone interviews
      you get real good at neotiating with agents
      you get real good at fitting quickly into new teams
      you get real good at learning new corporate philosophies
      you get real good at learning how the phone system works

You have to cope with not seeing the missus
      you have to cope with not seeing the kids
      you have to cope with not seeing the benefits of your work
      you have to cope with living in a hotel
      you have to cope with over indulgence of beer and bad diet

the whole thing is almost a skill, not many can hack it

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If you are in technical/engineering you have to do all that moving around stuff anyway EO, not the sort of contract you can just round the corner.

I usually get pissed off and move on after about 6-9 months unless it's work at home. More than enough for most crappy contracts.

you have to cope with not seeing the kids
        I can manage that!
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The best way to do contracting is to live somewhere really cheap so you can buy your own house quickly and then go back there for 2 or 3 months a year to see kids and wife.

Ive been doing this for the last 5 years and it works for me , I now spend 3 to 4 months at home and the rest of the year working.

I get a better quality of life with my family as I normally dont work when my kid is on holiday so get to spend a lot of time with him.

Wife sees me more than she would if I was working in the area and just seeing her weekends and after work.

You need to be able to stockpile cash when your working to get you through the months when your not , it is expensive to stay home so my plans to do 6 months home 6 months work had to be scrapped.

It also gives me time off to do training if I need to and to read up on new bits of technology.

Comment

you're.

I tried exactly this method, BB , and am getting divorced at the end of the month - her decision.
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
              you're.

I tried exactly this method, BB , and am getting divorced at the end of the month - her decision.

Sure , you need a wife that understands the financial mechanics of this system but if you were doing a permy job on a permy salary and staying at home on the 9 to 5 would that have saved your marriage ?

If you are married to someone that expects you to do 9 to 5 and be there then a permy job is best , sorry to hear that things didnt work out for you , this is my second marriage and I know the sh!t you go through with divorce , lucky that I didnt have children in my first marriage otherwise this system would not work for me either , alamoney is expensive.

I should be able to do a 6 month on and 6 month off as soon as I stop paying for my son to go to a private school which is in 2 years time , my wife has agreed that this would be good for us so she is prepared to wait.

Overall this system does give me a better standard of life than the 9 to 5 permy route , but like contracting its not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitbucket
                but if you were doing a permy job on a permy salary and staying at home on the 9 to 5 would that have saved your marriage ?
                We tried that, and it didn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                  We tried that, and it didn't work either.
                  Perhaps you weren't staying away from home enough? You know, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack
                    Perhaps you weren't staying away from home enough? You know, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
                    Tried every week, then every other week. Same result.

Comment

Working...
                    X