• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying physical gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying physical gold

I'm looking to buy some physical to protect against a SHTF situation. Looking at bullionvault and using the Zurich vault. Anyone else buying/holding physical bullion got any better recommendations than bullionvault?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I have a bullionvault account, but I think the general concensus is to actually hold some physical gold (ie buried in your garden or somewhere else safe and accessible) The thinking is if the financial system went completely to pot, there is a good chance you wouldn't be able to get access to your gold from those vaults in switzerland. I'm going to get a handful of gold coins and put them somewhere safe along with my shotgun and gallon of petrol, just in case.

Have you not seen Mad Max?

Comment

If you're keeping the physical stuff, is gold the best or would something with higher £/Kg be better so you can store it in as small a space as possible? Platinum or rhodium or something?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm thinking more about protecting something against a potential government grab rather than total Mad Max. What I like about bulionvault is they have vaults in UK, US and Zurich so one can effectively move the money around by selling and buying physical and having it stored in different vaults..

That end of Britain report really did get me spooked!
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          I'm thinking more about protecting something against a potential government grab rather than total Mad Max. What I like about bulionvault is they have vaults in UK, US and Zurich so one can effectively move the money around by selling and buying physical and having it stored in different vaults..

Oh dear.

Comment

That report is depressing stuff

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              If you're keeping the physical stuff, is gold the best or would something with higher £/Kg be better so you can store it in as small a space as possible? Platinum or rhodium or something?
              1 litre of gold is worth around 1,000,000 USD, space isn't going to be an issue.

Additionally, gold and silver sovereigns don't attract capital gains.

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
                That report is depressing stuff
                Yes it is!

I'm only looking to invest about 10% a month for now. Planning on moving to the US in the next couple of years anyhow...

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
                1 litre of gold is worth around 1,000,000 USD, space isn't going to be an issue.

Additionally, gold and silver sovereigns don't attract capital gains.
                I was looking at those - think I'll go with them for now.

Comment

Yes it is!

I'm only looking to invest about 10% a month for now. Planning on moving to the US in the next couple of years anyhow...

I was looking at those - think I'll go with them for now.
                  "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

Spod - in "d000hg" mode!
                  Last edited by SupremeSpod; 7 December 2012, 15:16. Reason: Dad, I think I got it wrong again...

Comment

hg not gh
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X