• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I blinking hate MySQL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I blinking hate MySQL

It won't let me do something as simple as change the primary key on a table. Open source crud.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I remember JPM credit department worked on spreadsheets. So when they outgrew that they went to mysql. Shame when they reached the 4gb limit and everything collapsed.

Thats what happens when boys design a system and bobs code it.

Comment

I set up a table:

Code:
      CREATE  TABLE `test`.`test_for_d000hg` (
        `first` INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
        `second` INT NOT NULL ,
        PRIMARY KEY (`first`) );
      and:

Code:
      ALTER TABLE `test`.`test_for_d000hg` 
      CHANGE COLUMN `first` `first` INT(11) NOT NULL  , 
      CHANGE COLUMN `second` `second` INT(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT  , 
      DROP PRIMARY KEY , 
      ADD PRIMARY KEY (`second`) ;
      worked for me

(To be precise, I did it in MySQL Workbench, and that's the SQL it generated to do my bidding.)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I remember JPM credit department worked on spreadsheets. So when they outgrew that they went to mysql. Shame when they reached the 4gb limit and everything collapsed.

Thats what happens when boys design a system and bobs code it.
        That's a limitation of the MyISAM storage engine, not of MySQL per se. Also, it can be resolved: Overcoming MySQL's 4GB Limit (by Jeremy Zawodny)

Comment

Nick Fitz on CUK Tech is better than Google!
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            That's a limitation of the MyISAM storage engine, not of MySQL per se. Also, it can be resolved: Overcoming MySQL's 4GB Limit (by Jeremy Zawodny)
            Was that available in 2008?

If it was, and you knew about it, you could have made yourself a pot.

Comment

Was that available in 2008?
              The blog post is from 2003, so I'd say that's a "Yes"

If it was, and you knew about it, you could have made yourself a pot.
              Also available in 2008 was this book on which he's a co-author, so they could have saved themselves a pot by buying it: High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, and More: Amazon.co.uk: Baron Schwartz, Peter Zaitsev, Vadim Tkachenko, Jeremy D. Zawodny, Arjen Lentz, Derek J. Balling: Books

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                worked for me

(To be precise, I did it in MySQL Workbench, and that's the SQL it generated to do my bidding.)
                I meant in a real-world DB where you have foreign keys and actual data in the tables

TBF other RDBMs might be as bad but I don't recall Oracle being such a pig. I'm deducing that MySQL implements dropping the primary key by dropping and recreating the table based on the problems. Can't be arsed with all this dropping/re-creating FKs... let me write the stored procs and someone else can do the DDL!
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

mySQL is a real world DB and can confirm that it can shift its arse when asked to do stored procs on large batch tasks.

Now, I have theory that Oracle bought SUN to get mySQL to hinder its development, when mySQL went good with stored procs Oracle were not slow in buying the DB up. Don't think Oracle ever wanted Java, they wanted mySQL.

mySQL workbench is a pile of cack if you ask me, query browser and adminstrator are great tools and as good as any DB tools I use on 'serious' databases.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Now, I have theory that Oracle bought SUN to get mySQL to hinder its development, when mySQL went good with stored procs Oracle were not slow in buying the DB up. Don't think Oracle ever wanted Java, they wanted mySQL.
                    Having seen how Oracle bought another database back in the nineties and then whacked the prices up I too think they wanted it more than Java.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X