• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First week, new gig...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First week, new gig...

Usual, no lappy, not 'built', borrowed a 1990's desktop, sat reading docs all week. Actually have a login that works, but no pass so have to borrow one to go for a slash.

Still, feels like a good gig, worlds apart from the HP/DWP fiasco I've just come off.

Gig is in Dublin, and me despite having a totally Irish name and totally Irish family, this is my first time in Ireland, one thing I have learned is 'There is more to Oireland, Dan Dis...' I fecking love it!

Ireland is like a non-PC UK, not seen a copper yet, speeding is ok, taxi driver was driving while reading his paper, but food is freaking expensive and there's no canteen

Luas tram system is cool, I like the way the green line and the red line are linked only by what looks like on the map a man walking up a small escalator, which is in fact meant to designate a 25 minute walk. And people don't wait till people get OFF the tram before getting on, how annoying is that?

45 minute flight, 70 minute airport bus to work, not bad, had a lot worse, Ryanair but it's cheap I suppose...

I fancy visiting Ireland, I hear its mostly white people.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      I fancy visiting Ireland, I hear its mostly white people.
      I hear a lot of Russian, 'na samelyotye' in the plane queue, 's pamidorami' in the butty queue, and indeed, I sit next to an Israeli guy, which will totally piss off my friend, the Scottish Minister in Wick who is a bit pro-palestine...

At the moment, kids out at their friends place, the current mrs Stek in town with her workmate Rebecca who was recently ejected from the only night club in Batley, and I have Rush: Time Machine on, full effing belt on surround sound, A1!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        I hear a lot of Russian, 'na samelyotye' in the plane queue, 's pamidorami' in the butty queue, and indeed, I sit next to an Israeli guy, which will totally piss off my friend, the Scottish Minister in Wick who is a bit pro-palestine...

At the moment, kids out at their friends place, the current mrs Stek in town with her workmate Rebecca who was recently ejected from the only night club in Batley, and I have Rush: Time Machine on, full effing belt on surround sound, A1!!
        What do you do about your limited co? (Assuming you use one.) Dont they have a reduced corporation tax?

Comment

We lived there for nearly 3 years.

Great place, expensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            We lived there for nearly 3 years.

Great place, expensive though.
            But house prices are half what they are here?

Comment

Did a one year gig in Dublin with one of the banks. I have family in Ireland so was lucky enough that a friend was spending a year in the US so let me have her flat rent free in the centre of Dublin.

The car rarely left the basement parking as it was impossible to drive easily or get parking, no big deal a thirty minute wak to work was fine. Expensive place to be but no probs for a contractor

One of the best traditional music pubs was around the corner from the flat so every night after work I had a few pints playing tunes with the locals. I'd go back there anytime.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                But house prices are half what they are here?
                Ha......yeah true, now they are!

Our flat would be lucky to sell for half what we paid for it. It's rented out, but losing money! Actually, moving to Dublin was the biggest mistake we ever made!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  Ha......yeah true, now they are!

Our flat would be lucky to sell for half what we paid for it. It's rented out, but losing money! Actually, moving to Dublin was the biggest mistake we ever made!

Buying at the top of the market, was the mistake.

I have been watching the prices in Dublin for about 7 years, just bought this year at about 30% of the peak price.

It was easier to look at prices from off-shore, maybe I would have got sucked in if I stayed in Dublin, maybe not. 30k to 300k in a couple of years, nah.
                  Last edited by alreadypacked; 9 December 2012, 08:23.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                    Buying at the top of the market, was the mistake.

I have been watching the prices in Dublin for about 7 years, just bought this year at about 30% of the peak price.

It was easier to look at prices from off-shore, maybe I would have got sucked in if I stayed in Dublin, maybe not. 30k to 300k in a couple of years, nah.
                    Yeah, we bought in 2005, loads of bargains to be had now

Comment

Working...
                    X