• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Clutch Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Clutch Thread

Clutch just gone in Sainsbury's car park; can get into gear, but biting point is right near the top of travel, and then can't get above about 3mph, or get up the slight incline at the exit.

RAC chap just called; should be here in about 10 minutes

Next time get an automatic

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You need to get shot of that "classic" Orion and get a nice new driving appliance with a 7 year warranty.

Edit:- Or see if Sasguru has got bored of his GT86 - you could get it for mates rates

Comment

Well, that was weird

RAC chap turned up and listened to my account of things; I demonstrated how the clutch wouldn't bite until very near the top, and even then it was more like a suck and hardly sent any power to the wheels.

He got down in the footwell and felt around with the pedal, but announced that it all seemed to be joined together properly. Then he had a look in the engine bay, but there wasn't much he could do there other than note that everything seemed to be in the right place.

Then he decided to try giving it a drive round the car park. I'd managed to get it, at a top speed of 3mph, over to the furthest part of the car park before calling them, as it was a lot quieter there; so even if it conked out as he drove it round it wouldn't cause too much of a problem.

But when he reversed it out and started - it worked normally! He drove around, trying various things ("Did it rev like this?" "No", "Could it have been in third?" "No, because that needs more revs to avoid stalling, and anyway it had the same problem in reverse", etc.) but it was obvious that it was somehow fixed.

I only live about a mile and a half away on the main road, so he said he'd follow me and, if there was any problem, I could pull over. Once I got in the driver's seat I realised that the clutch now felt exactly as it had before the problem arose, right down to the biting point being where it had been. The drive home was absolutely fine.

So the only possible conclusion is that when he got down in the footwell and waggled it to make sure it was all connected up, he somehow managed to fix it without realising

So, home now, and just remembered I needed to go across town to get a bit for the shower from B&Q. I think I'll take the other car, just to be on the safe side. Oh, and get the garage to have a look at the clutch.

Ho hum

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
          You need to get shot of that "classic" Orion and get a nice new driving appliance with a 7 year warranty.

Edit:- Or see if Sasguru has got bored of his GT86 - you could get it for mates rates
          Nothing wrong with my Orion; see above

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            Next time get an automatic

HTH
            They're OK for people who find it a bit confusing to do more than one thing at a time, and my other car is an automatic as it happens, but I prefer a manual

Comment

I had that the other day - could not select reverse easily. Turned out to be the satnav lead to lighter socket was blocking the way!

On the other hand my mother had an intermittent fault with her car once - turned out to be a computer issue.

Best thing is to bleed the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Clutch just gone in Sainsbury's car park; can get into gear, but biting point is right near the top of travel, and then can't get above about 3mph, or get up the slight incline at the exit.

RAC chap just called; should be here in about 10 minutes
                This site never ceases to amaze me. I didn't even know one of those electric disabled scooters even had a clutch!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Either get driving lessons or get the missus to drive you places. Rac man must have thought you were a right tool.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    They're OK for people who find the difference between first & third a bit confusing
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X