• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There's this bloke at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's this bloke at work

Senior exec and sponsor of the 12 million pound ERP project I am on. Also the chief architect.

He is universally hated by absolutely everyone in the company. Makes awful decisions all of the time and relies on his underlings to bail him out and then he spins it so he comes up smelling of roses.

I am now bailing out a data migration, that he designed. I am only allowed to contact him, not anyone else. I have been slapped for discussing the migration with others (that I needed to).

On Friday evening things were going wrong (again), so I called him. No answer. Emailed. No answer. Texted. No answer. So I contacted one of the other PMs on the project who has been an absolute star all weekend, kicking people to get stuff done to help me, being supportive. The guy is a legend among men.

So today I get an email, asking this PM to butt out, and criticising me for getting frustrated with his Indian ETL lackies as they keep folding their arms and doing nothing rather than listen to common sense.

I am an inch away from getting this over the line, and have worked absolute miracles this past week. Long hours, high stress.

This guy is a menace. The last straw is that he is sitting on last months time sheet (no idea why) and he slammed a door in my face (twice) on Friday afternoon.

He is out of his depth, rude, arrogant, ignorant, trumped up and short. Megalomaniac.

So my question is, do I go for a head or body shot? How many times?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

He is out of his depth, rude, arrogant, ignorant, trumped up and short. Megalomaniac.
    Sas gone back to work then?

Comment

Oh Suity!!! (Canned Laughter)
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Oh Suity!!! (Canned Laughter)

Now answer the ******* question

Comment

Now answer the ******* question
          It all depends on how you are haranguing him.

Are you just bring problems? Are you pointing out wheres it going wrong? Pointing out who is doing it wrong? Telling him you're having to work more hours or step in to keep helping out??? If yes, then actually you're becoming an annoyance, a little buzzy noise.

When pointing out issues you must offer solutions. I got very heated in a meeting last week where I tore a strip off an integration team for doing unnecessary work. They told me someone senior had told them to do it and so they were duty bound. I followed up the meeting with a strongly worded email to said director and his team, pointed out the risks but also what the solution should be. I pointed out that it would delay them by a couple of days but would stop their project failing at the last minute. I then set up the necessary meetings to deal with it.

So if you point stuff out you must point out solution.

Comment

Dear patronising bastard. I have spelt out what is wrong and proposed a cast iron solution.

His muppet ETL team ignored me, went their own sweet way. He backed them. Then they ****ed it up totally and admitted I was right all along.

Now they're ******* it up again, and not listening to me.

For info, every time I have challenged him or his ETL team I have been proven right. Every single time. I have a sent items box full of emails pointing out what is wrong, where they will waste time and how to do it properly.

Agreed, if I was him, way out of my depth and a political animal I would feel threatened. In that circumstance I would keep my enemies closer than friends, get in my head a little bit, manage me into delivering the solution and take all the glory. He just ignores me and keeps ******* up.

Comment

This is a joke thread, right?
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Looks like you'll be out before Xmas.

Such a shame you got that 3 week extension. When I got back week before last I immediately hired a contractor on the Tuesday. He had all the skills you have and I am more than happy to take feedback as I've inherited a failing project.

Oh of what could have been.

BTW. If someone does actually slam a door in your face, and I mean a proper aggressive fook off you worthless piece of tulip slam, the solution is to open the door, tell them to fook off & get right in their face. Doesn't matter who it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  BTW. If someone does actually slam a door in your face, and I mean a proper aggressive fook off you worthless piece of tulip slam, the solution is to open the door, tell them to fook off & get right in their face. Doesn't matter who it is.
                  And then lump him, eh MF?

Comment

So my question is, do I go for a head or body shot? How many times?
                    Body shot - it's easier. If you went for a head shot you'd empty the clip in 5 seconds and succeed only in winging Margaret the tea lady and removing a bit of plaster.

And for goodness sake, double tap man. Double tap.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X