• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phuck 'Em Farm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phuck 'Em Farm

Did you swear at home as a child?

We always had a certain appreciation of some of the fruitier Anglo Saxon vernacular in my family when I was a boy.

Something that doesn't appear to have been extended to my brother's household. At least not as far as my sister in law is concerned for it would appear that she has been mortally offended by a tale I recounted the other night. So offended that she walked out of the cafe with her kids and hasn't spoken to me since.

Years ago, we used to drive out to Dorset and go for a pub lunch and have a country walk. Not far from the town of Bridport is the village of Melplash and somewhere on the fringes of this village is Puckham Farm and it always advertised itself with a sign pointing down the track at whose end it was located.

Now, at some point in the distant past, some wag had modified the P of Puckham and turned it into an F thus making it ****ham Farm (excuse me Todd). This provided us with much mirth as we bowled past that turning in my old man's Vauxhall Cresta en route for an after dinner constitutional in Beaminster.

Amazingly, this corrupted P still exists to this day - a fact that was corroberated the other day when I went through Melplash on my way to Devon to visit my brother.

And it was merely my repeating of this story in front of my young nephews that caused the flounce.

Really, young people today - I couldn't believe how someone could be so puritanical in this day and age.

That said, I know people who weren't even allowed to use the word bloody in their houses when they were young. In fact, one chap I know didn't think adults swore because he'd never heard one swear. Only the kids in the schoolyard did that. Then he told me how shocked he was on sneaking into his local picture house as a 14 year old to see Deliverance when he heard the characters indulging in liberal use of the F word.

My, how times have changed. The number of times I hear foul language on the streets these days is so great that I don't even bat an eyelid.

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    In fact, one chap I know didn't think adults swore because he'd never heard one swear. Only the kids in the schoolyard did that. Then he told me how shocked he was on sneaking into his local picture house as a 14 year old to see Deliverance when he heard the characters indulging in liberal use of the F word.
    Was that the only thing that shocked him about Deliverance?

Comment

Working...
    X