• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House moving Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House moving Dilemma

Mrs EO daughter has had a rough year. She had to pack her new job when she got pregnant, then hubby got a new job and works away all week, then they moved house.
    all very stressful, with moving kids to new school etc etc.

They exchanged contracts on Friday, and when they went around with the first load of boxes, the previous owner was still there.
    Her gear was still there as well.

Turns out the lady has a bit of a drink problem, and when her removals men arrived on thursday, she wouldnt answer the door.

She finally buggered off on saturday, and I helped them move yesterday, but the garage is still full of her stuff, and she has left behind a microwave, telly, food, couch, sideboard

Daughter in law is frantic and now hubby is on his way back to London this morning.

I feel sorry for the previous owner, but I feel like hiring a skip, and chucking her stuff into it

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Do it. You could argue that at exchange anything in the house is yours.

In any case who's going to believe a wino.

Comment

We had the same problem. Previous owner left garage full of stuff - I mean chocka - probably most of the contents of the house. I told him he had a week to sort it and he did. Not sure what I'd have done if he hadn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

Bin the bloody lot!

Comment

Have you asked the solicitor who handled the transaction?

I remember seeing this in the Evening Standard once - I think you have to make "reasonable" efforts to contact the sellers then you can bin it.

i.e. WMSS

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Have you asked the solicitor who handled the transaction?

I remember seeing this in the Evening Standard once - I think you have to make "reasonable" efforts to contact the sellers then you can bin it.

i.e. WMSS
            WBPS

Simply because if you just chuck everything into a skip, wino or not, if she decides to sue EO daughter for the made up cost of the belongings if you haven't got the solicitors involved or given her a reasonable chance to collect her belongings by writing to her, the EO daughter family would be made to pay her some compensation in a court.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

I doubt it. On completion maybe, but not on exchange. The exchange simply confirms the agreement to buy and sell has been signed by both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                I doubt it. On completion maybe, but not on exchange. The exchange simply confirms the agreement to buy and sell has been signed by both parties.
                You know what I mean

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Mrs EO daughter has had a rough year. She had to pack her new job when she got pregnant, then hubby got a new job and works away all week, then they moved house.
                  all very stressful, with moving kids to new school etc etc.

They exchanged contracts on Friday, and when they went around with the first load of boxes, the previous owner was still there.
                  Her gear was still there as well.

Turns out the lady has a bit of a drink problem, and when her removals men arrived on thursday, she wouldnt answer the door.

She finally buggered off on saturday, and I helped them move yesterday, but the garage is still full of her stuff, and she has left behind a microwave, telly, food, couch, sideboard

Daughter in law is frantic and now hubby is on his way back to London this morning.

I feel sorry for the previous owner, but I feel like hiring a skip, and chucking her stuff into it

If the stuff is in there at completion and wasn't on the fixtures and fittings form that the vendors filled in you can legally ask them to dispose of it, if they refuse you can do it and then send them the bill. That's what we did in the past when it happened to us and the other party had to pay up.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                  X