• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of an accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of an accountant

Hello

I am looking to understand the range of cost that an accountant could charge

I checked out 1stContact in London, and for a small LLC (single director) in consulting, they would charge a fee of GBP 1495 + VAT for a full year to do all VAT returns, annual returns and tax filings

Another accountant (a friend's recommendation) would charge GBP 850 per annum (does not have qtrly vat returns, but just the annual filings)

Any comments are appreciated, along with personal feedbacks

Thanks

Try using the search function. This has been discussed a number of times and the threads contain the costs for most of the large contractor accountants that advertise/post here plus other independant ones. Anything over 6 months old I would ring the accountants in question to re-check their prices though.

Search function is here....

Welcome / FAQs

Also a thread of recommended accountants from users of the board can be found here. Personally I would give them all a ring first. Most of us are with them so that speaks volumes IMO..

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-requests.html
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And keep in the back of your mind that a good accoutnant is free while a bad one is very expensive. It's not about the price...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Check the detail as to what is and isn't included, and what you need.

AFAIR First Contact have a fairly comprehensive "do everything" approach which may or may not suit you.

As others have said there is no substitute for calling or emailing a few and sensing the feel of what comes back - is it helpful or not? Could you work with these people? etc

Comment

Originally posted by dowjones123 View Post
          Hello

I am looking to understand the range of cost that an accountant could charge

I checked out 1stContact in London, and for a small LLC (single director) in consulting, they would charge a fee of GBP 1495 + VAT for a full year to do all VAT returns, annual returns and tax filings

Another accountant (a friend's recommendation) would charge GBP 850 per annum (does not have qtrly vat returns, but just the annual filings)

Any comments are appreciated, along with personal feedbacks

Thanks
          You will find £1495 + vat is on the high side - ave cost is around £1000 incl vat for an all in service. As per other posts do the search and see the best fit for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            And keep in the back of your mind that a good accoutnant is free while a bad one is very expensive. It's not about the price...
            Please be posting phone numbers for the free accountant.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Please be posting phone numbers for the free accountant.
              If your accountant doesn't at least cover his fees in savings for YourCo plus the cost of the time you would spend doing it yourself, he's not really doing his job. Sorry if that's a little too subtle...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                You will find £1495 + vat is on the high side - ave cost is around £1000 incl vat for an all in service. As per other posts do the search and see the best fit for yourself.
                It makes no difference how much they charge it's if they are any good.

Lots of accountants in and around London charge this much but only a few of them understand small companies that provide services instead of physical goods and how to stop new contractors getting in a mess.

For example some accountants will claim you are within IR35 when they have never seen your contract and don't know whether you have found the client yourself, or they can do your VAT for you but may not check that you have sent all the correct paperwork and then leave you in the sh*t when you are picked for a random VAT inspection.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  If your accountant doesn't at least cover his fees in savings for YourCo plus the cost of the time you would spend doing it yourself, he's not really doing his job. Sorry if that's a little too subtle...
                  The whole "he should save more than he costs" spiel is something that gets trotted out all the time when talking about accountants. For a business with staff and costs and R&D then I agree. For a 1-man contractor Ltd, there aren't many little clever tricks and they are easily learned.

I still advocate using an accountant but not as a way to increase profit - if you want that then one of these cookie-cutter contractor accountants (who are great) is not where you're going to find that.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    The whole "he should save more than he costs" spiel is something that gets trotted out all the time when talking about accountants. For a business with staff and costs and R&D then I agree. For a 1-man contractor Ltd, there aren't many little clever tricks and they are easily learned.

I still advocate using an accountant but not as a way to increase profit - if you want that then one of these cookie-cutter contractor accountants (who are great) is not where you're going to find that.
                    You obviously haven't met contractors who have got themselves in a right mess.

While some of us will do our accounts, read up and ask questions on various tax regulations other people just hand everything over.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X