• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electronic Drumkit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Drumkit

I've pretty much got everything I need so was struggling over what to treat myself with for Xmas.

I'm a Bass player but have fancied a drumkit for many years, having small kids though means that an acoustic one wouldn't be practical.

Anyone got any experience of a decent electronic kit, preferably £300-£400, dont want anything top end as its a toy really and I may find that I'm crap at it, but equally dont want anything rubbish.

Ta.

By coincidence I was looking at Amazon for just that today. See what is well reviewed there, or visit your local music store and then look some up on Amazon afterwards.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      By coincidence I was looking at Amazon for just that today. See what is well reviewed there, or visit your local music store and then look some up on Amazon afterwards.
      Was looking on there last night, saw this ION Pro Session Drums Professional Electronic Drum Kit with Built-in Sounds: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments which seemed ok and is a good price but looking on YouTube the sounds don't seem half as good as the Roland HD (1 & 3) ones I was looking at but is the extra cash really worth it for the Roland kit or would that ION one do the trick? Dunno.

This sounds good:

Last edited by Durbs; 10 December 2012, 19:54.

Comment

This bloke (a drummer) borrowed my iPad in the Brewdog Pub in Newcastle and played some amazing stuff on Garageband Drums...

So, £2.99 plus an iPad?

Comment

A lot of the electronic drumkits that come complete with a sound / trigger module cut costs by having plastic pads or just FM drum sounds which really sound crap. Check if whatever module comes with your kit has MIDI out which with a MIDI interface to your computer to trigger sampled drum sounds with low latency (Addictive Drums, Easy Drummer, BFD etc).
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
            I've pretty much got everything I need so was struggling over what to treat myself with for Xmas.

I'm a Bass player but have fancied a drumkit for many years, having small kids though means that an acoustic one wouldn't be practical.

Anyone got any experience of a decent electronic kit, preferably £300-£400, dont want anything top end as its a toy really and I may find that I'm crap at it, but equally dont want anything rubbish.

Ta.

I picked up a second hand Yahama dtx express so the kids can have something to learn on, for £300. I think the Roland HD1 would have been a better bet (smaller footprint) but couldn't source any locally at the time; buying new usually means starting closer to £600 (for the HD3). The Yamaha is excellent though, plenty of different sounds although the sound unit is a bit obtuse to operate. I'd never played before but learnt the basic rock beat from instruction vids on youtube. Great fun. Make sure the pedals match the system, ours came with a Roland pedal for the high-hat and it isn't 100% compatible, had to mess around with different adaptors to get it to work.

I just plug it into my little practice amp, being able to plug headphones into it it a big bonus.
            Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Have read good things about the Yamaha kit, advice seems to be you cant go wrong with either Roland or Yamaha.

Decided on the Roland HD1, its more than I wanted to pay really but if either or both of the kids get into it then its money well spent.

As for the iPad comment, yeah, I've got a couple of drum apps and they are really good! Sometimes its just nice to hit things with bits of wood though.

Comment

Found this thread searching for another thread.

Roland is the only option in buying electronic kits. A wise choice.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Found this thread searching for another thread.

Roland is the only option in buying electronic kits. A wise choice.
                  A mate of mine has some Pintech kit going cheaply, wide choice of snares and drums. He used to be a dealer and has inventory left so you could build a custom kit compatible with Roland and Yamaha modules.

Pintech uses mesh heads same as high end Roland.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                  X