• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tablets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablets

Has anybody bought a tablet (doesn't matter which one) through their business? If so, could you justify that it's 100% for business use only? Then again, can most things be justified for business use only?

The reason I ask is that I can justify buying one which could & would be used for some business needs but the very nature of what they are capable of means I would use it for other functionality.

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
    The reason I ask is that I can justify buying one which could & would be used for some business needs but the very nature of what they are capable of means I would use it for other functionality.
    Have a think about your main motivation for buying it. If its for a business need, then end of story - its a business expense. Don't get yourself tied in knots about what you COULD use it for.
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Sometimes I think if you have to ask then you know it isn't justified. If your business needs it then it is a no brainer. If you fancy one that you might be able to use at work as well then it isn't.

Remember the rule of thumb is 'wholly and exclusively'. A £300 tablet just to take notes on is a sham IMO. A number of our guys here band that one about when they bring theirs in and do nothing but browse the web for personal stuff on.

If it is a 50/50 situation then is the saving really worth it bearing in mind all you are saving is the tax on it. Some savvy shopping at this time of year can save you about the same amount.

Unless I started developing on one or tablets were part of my clients solution then I wouldn't buy one through the company but each to their own. As others will say you are hardly going to go to jail for that amount of money in the unlikely event you get investigated.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Sometimes I think if you have to ask then you know it isn't justified. If your business needs it then it is a no brainer. If you fancy one that you might be able to use at work as well then it isn't.

Remember the rule of thumb is 'wholly and exclusively'. A £300 tablet just to take notes on is a sham IMO. A number of our guys here band that one about when they bring theirs in and do nothing but browse the web for personal stuff on.

If it is a 50/50 situation then is the saving really worth it bearing in mind all you are saving is the tax on it. Some savvy shopping at this time of year can save you about the same amount.

Unless I started developing on one or tablets were part of my clients solution then I wouldn't buy one through the company but each to their own. As others will say you are hardly going to go to jail for that amount of money in the unlikely event you get investigated.
        It's the 'wholly and exclusively' rule which made me ask the question in the first place. Is anything 'wholly and exclusively' when it comes to IT equipment?
        I have bought a laptop through my business because my last one broke & I could no longer do my accounts, keep website updated etc, but I also use the laptop for other things. I bought a wireless router because my last one was knackered but my wife uses it for her laptop & my son uses it for his iPod so is that 'wholly and exclusively' for my business? The list could be endless when it comes to IT equipment.

A tablet would help me run my business (like the other items listed above) but it certainly wouldn't be exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz_M View Post
          It's the 'wholly and exclusively' rule which made me ask the question in the first place. Is anything 'wholly and exclusively' when it comes to IT equipment?
          I have bought a laptop through my business because my last one broke & I could no longer do my accounts, keep website updated etc, but I also use the laptop for other things. I bought a wireless router because my last one was knackered but my wife uses it for her laptop & my son uses it for his iPod so is that 'wholly and exclusively' for my business? The list could be endless when it comes to IT equipment.

A tablet would help me run my business (like the other items listed above) but it certainly wouldn't be exclusive.
          The way I see it personally....

I need a computer to run my business. I cannot cope without one, same with a printer. The fact they have some personal use is acceptable to me. To me the computer is wholly and exclusively first with some personal use second.

A tablet for my business would be nice to have and I can play on it as well, and would end up playing on it more than doing business so it doesn't go through the business. The tablet is shared use and honestly will be used more personally so doesn't meet the criteria for me.

The wireless router is a good one. I bought mine personally as it's first use is for the family. My business use would be negligble in the greater scheme so it didn't go on the company's books. You could argue you need it for business I guess but in my world it is for the family first and my business users it so again falls out of the rule. Up to you that one.

Most posters will know my style by now but I would rather keep my accounts as straight down the line as I can rather than muddy it just for the 'discount' on the other items, which is all the tax saving effectively is. It all comes out of your pocket (minus the discount) at the end of the day.

As I said I am sure many people put the whole lot through and don't worry about it. If they get investigated they argue it and at worst pay a few 10's of pounds back. That is up to you.

When I asked my accountant about these type of things they were a little ambiguous saying they would support it if it met the rule but let me decide if it met the rule so not that helpful. I could have convinced them it was and they would have said ok but I would have only been kidding myself.

Wait till the other posters come on and say 'fk it and put it all through, you will never get investigated' and then just take the option you are most comfortable with.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I bought my iPad through the company. A client asked if I could develop elearning for the iPad, so there is a clear business use. There is a reasonable amount of personal use on it I suppose, but while I can sync the apps on my iPad with my iPhone, I chose not to, eg no games on here. When I go on holiday ill probably load it up with videos and games, but when I come back they will be off again.

I think it does to some degree depend on what you're genuinely comfortable with. My business can function perfectly well without it, but I am comfortable that I can justify it to HMRC and if I wasn't the sole director I would be happy justifying it to a board of directors.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I need a computer to run my business. I cannot cope without one, same with a printer. The fact they have some personal use is acceptable to me. To me the computer is wholly and exclusively first with some personal use second.
              I agree with that. Indeed, even if the private use is substantial then it can still be an allowable business expense, see the expamples in EIM21613.

A tablet is going to be a bit tricky, it depends on the business case for having one. If you are developing apps (or perhaps a website) for the tablet then you probably have a good business case even if the kids spend most of their time playing Angry Birds on it. If you couldn't run your business without the tablet so it's allowable, regardless of the private use as stated in EIM21613.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Wholly and Exclusively for .... R&D

Also I can use it to remote control my 'main' PC when I'm not in the home office.

If the revenue disallowed it, you'd just not get the tax relief, so it's no biggie anyway.

Comment

I bought one for developing software. Now I have it, my company allows me to use it for personal stuff but it was bought wholly for business reasons.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I buy all my electronic equipment via my business, regardless of if I will ever use it for that. It's one of the benefits of running a business. How can is ever be proven you don't use it for your business?

Comment

Working...
                    X