• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barroso: Scotland would need to apply to join EU, process might be long.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barroso: Scotland would need to apply to join EU, process might be long.

Here's another idea. Scotland becomes independent, and does not apply to join the EU.

1. England is then obliged by the EU to set up full EU border controls. Scotland can do what it likes, being independent. Expect England to make a bit of trouble in Brussels about that.
    2. Spain won't be fishing in Scottish waters any more. See how that plays at home, José.
    3. How long will it then take for England to decide to have a referendum on the EU?

Do you want to be remembered as the man who broke up the EU, señor?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Scotland isn't going to leave the UK so it's a moot point.

Catalonia however...

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
      Scotland isn't going to leave the UK so it's a moot point.

Catalonia however...
      I agree with you there. However we won't take kindly to the idea that a Spanish politician threatens us with the EU, for reasons relating to Spanish politics. My English friends may want to watch and learn from the EU's bullying.

Oh BTW I forgot to add: enthusiasts of EU citizenship might be unhappy to see that too. What price EU citizenship if people who have been EU citizens all their lives can have it removed en masse?

Comment

I should think that it would be excellent for Scotland, for Scotland to leave the UK. All that government debt would then be left to England and Wales to pay off, and Alex Salmond would be able to embark on a massive borrow-fest and boom the Scottish economy.

Well for a few years at least..

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          I should think that it would be excellent for Scotland, for Scotland to leave the UK. All that government debt would then be left to England and Wales to pay off, and Alex Salmond would be able to embark on a massive borrow-fest and boom the Scottish economy.

Well for a few years at least..
          Nice try

Comment

Like there's any money in Wales
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

2. Spain won't be fishing in Scottish waters any more. See how that plays at home, José.
              Previous experience suggests that Spain would demand compensation for losses to the Spanish fishing fleet (they demanded compensation from the EU for failing to extend a special deal with Morocco to let Spanish vessels fish there).

If Spain were to demand compensation from England for allowing the loss of Scottish waters to them, see

3. How long will it then take for England to decide to have a referendum on the EU?

Comment

If Scotland need to re-apply for membership, then surely the same should apply to what's left of the UK? Looks like a nifty way to leave the EU and ditch Scotland all in one move.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Better still the UK leaves the EU and becomes a trading partner like Norway or Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                    Looks like a nifty way to leave the EU and ditch Scotland all in one move.
                    And there's me thinking you were just a doddery old git who told stories about when you in the war! Top comment!

Comment

Working...
                    X