• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

White British minority in "vibrant" and "diverse" London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White British minority in "vibrant" and "diverse" London

White British people are a minority in London: census
    PTI
    London, December 11, 2012
    First Published: 21:08 IST(11/12/2012)
    Last Updated: 21:11 IST(11/12/2012)

For the first time in history, white British people are now in a minority in London. They have been overtaken by the immigrant population from countries like India, the latest census revealed. Just 3.7 million Londoners described their ethnicity as 'White British' in 2011 - down from 4.3 million in 2001, and making up 44.9% of the city's population.

It is believed to be the first time that British whites have become a minority in any region of the UK.

Another major change came in the decreasing number of Christians - 4 million fewer people claimed to belong to the faith as a quarter of Britons said they had no religion.

In 2011, 7.5 million residents were foreign-born, making up 13%, or one in eight of the population - up from 4.6 million people in 2001.

The total population of England and Wales was 56.1 million, a 7% increase on 2001 - and 55% of the increase is due to migration.

Britain's increasing diversity was emphasised by the data released by the Office of National Statistics, as it emerged that the proportion of the nation that is white has fallen below 90% for the first time.

48.2 million people described themselves as being white, making up 86.0% of the population of England and Wales, down from 91.3% a decade earlier.

Within this ethnic group, the 'White British' category was the largest at 45.1 million, or 80.5% of the population, a fall compared to 87% in 2001.

7.5% of the population is Asian, while 3.4% described themselves as black. Unsurprisingly, London was found to be the most ethnically diverse region, while Wales was the least.

London is also home to the most immigrants, as 37% of its residents were born abroad and 24% are not citizens of the UK.

Apart from Poland, the other leading countries of origin for British immigrants were India, Pakistan, Ireland and Germany.

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
    Apart from Poland, the other leading countries of origin for British immigrants were India, Pakistan, Ireland and Germany.
    Ve are slowly taking over ze country. Mwahahaha.

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
    For the first time in history, white British people are now in a minority in London.
    Considering there's no other majority, I'd question the use of the term 'minority' in this context.
    Last edited by formant; 11 December 2012, 22:44.

Comment

One of the "37% of its residents born abroad" is also Mayor of London. Renders that figure rather meaningless really.

Comment

do KUATB

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...they-sure.html
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Its neo-colonialism.
          Get all these foreigners to work hard and then distribute the fruits of their labour elsewhere in the country.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Its neo-colonialism.
            Get all these foreigners to work hard and then distribute the fruits of their labour elsewhere in the country.
            Ain't neo-con where you invade another country, destroying all its infrastructure. Then hand all contracts to repair said country to your cronies?

Surely in London this is reverse-colonialism?
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

One of the "37% of its residents born abroad" is also Mayor of London. Renders that figure rather meaningless really.
              One man renders the results of a survey meaningless? That surely needs an award for stupidest comment of the year.

The question is, will the ONS publish the figures that they published after the 2001 census that showed how some major migrant ethnic communities have far higher access to social housing and welfare ande much worse health? Or will they preserve the PC pretence that they are all wonderful and an asset?

I doubt things have improved, not according to many reports, like this one from the BBC just two years ago:

BBC News - Half of young black people unemployed, says report
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                One man renders the results of a survey meaningless? That surely needs an award for stupidest comment of the year.
                Ah, I see. It's just that on CUK one benefits claimant apparently doing quite well means that they're all living in the lap of luxury, or one immigrant committing a crime means that they're all a bunch of violent crooks, and many other examples; so I assumed I could also adduce the case of a single person and it would be accepted as proving a general point.

My mistake; clearly that technique is only valid in cases where it reinforces prejudices, not where it challenges them.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Ah, I see. It's just that on CUK one benefits claimant apparently doing quite well means that they're all living in the lap of luxury, or one immigrant committing a crime means that they're all a bunch of violent crooks, and many other examples; so I assumed I could also adduce the case of a single person and it would be accepted as proving a general point.

My mistake; clearly that technique is only valid in cases where it reinforces prejudices, not where it challenges them.
                  This reputation implementation is crap. A brilliant post and I can't spread the rep.

I did wonder when NickG (or a compatriot) would stick his nose in. Didn't take long did it?
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

It beats me how someone who is so logical and focused on technical matters is so irrational, irrelevant and rambling on these issues. WTF are you talking about? Was there some reference to a violent immigrant in anything previous you were referring to? If so, it must have been deleted. You seem to be arguing with a Daily Mail in your own head rather than with anyone here.

Actually I quite agree with what (I think) is your point. We should not base conclusions on individual cases, whether a foreign rapist or the Lord Mayor of London. We should base them on facts and statistics and those show that, while some, mainly the Indians and Chinese, often do perform better than average, others perform significantly worse and it is time we actually started using the facts from these surveys to tighten up on immigration from those countries. Otherwise, what is the point of such surveys? Just money wasted.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 12 December 2012, 11:08.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X