• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Listen up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen up

You want to be part of the future of IT?

Then using DimPrawn's tried and tested research, these are the skills you want to be investing in.

Overall job market (for reference):

Total demand for Contractors:

Skills bucking the overall trend:

C#

ASP.NET

J2EE

SAP

Linux

tulip You Don't Want To Be In:

Don't bother with these.

VB

Plain old C

VBScript

ASP

COBOL

Comment

You forgot SAS. The graph for that looks like this, since 1976:

!
      !
      !
      !
      ! --------------------------------------------
      !
      !
      !
      !
      !
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yeah, but pretty low numbers (a bit of a shoot up recently )

Comment

Surely ASP, VBScript and VB have only plummeted in popularity because the name's been changed to ASP.NET. I know there's a few shortcuts and new features built into ASP.NET, but from the developer's point of view it's basically the same thing. You just have to learn a slightly different syntax here and there. When I say 'learn', I mean quickly flick through a book to look up the bit you're stuck on.

Still, as long as employers are convinced that ASP.NET is some amazingly complex new technology that only the most advanced and highly-paid developers can possibly get their heads round, while classic ASP and VB are so simple that that you can just get your ten-year-old nephew to do it for you, then I suppose the bluffers are quids in.

Comment

argh!!! programmers!!! LOL
            http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you really think ASP.NET is ASP renamed and .NET is some scripting language and that a quick flick through a book is all it takes, then you deserve to be on the bottom of the tulip pile.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                If you really think ASP.NET is ASP renamed and .NET is some scripting language and that a quick flick through a book is all it takes, then you deserve to be on the bottom of the tulip pile.

fight fight fight fight

"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Bloodthirsty bint.

Anyone that slags .NET off will get a kicking.

Comment

I'm not slagging off .NET, just saying that from a developer's point of view it's just another coding syntax to get your head round. You just get the general idea then use a reference. Same goes for JavaScript, CSS, SQL etc etc.

In fact, everything I've read about ASP.NET stresses how much simpler it is to code with than old-style ASP because the big boys have already written all the hard stuff like validation and table layouts and you just have to call their ready-made functions. It's a bluffer's dream.

Comment

Working...
                    X